LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have Labview versions 7.1 and 8 installed on the same computer?

I have Labview 7.1 installed, which I use for my work. I also have a CD with Labview 8, which came with the book "Labview for everyone" by Jeffrey Travis and Jim Kring (Prentice-Hall 2006).

I assume that these two versions differ in both capabilities and license. Since the examples from the book, on the CD, are for LabView 8, I can't view them with my current installation. On the other hand, I don't want to scrap the current installation, because I need it for work.

Can I have both installations on my computer at the same time? Should I take any special precautions?

HS

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,530 Views)
Yes, you can have both.

You didn't say which platform you're using, but assuming Windows, about the only annoying this is that when you launch one version it will re-register itself as the version to use when opening VIs. There's an option you can add to the config file to prevent this, but I don't believe it works on 7.1. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,509 Views)

Answering you question with a question.  When you install the software should it be installed in order like 7.1 then 8.0 then 8.2?  How do you install the tool kits for multiple versions?  I am about to load up my laptop and also want to know th ebest way to do this.

Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,504 Views)
Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but any version will work on the same computer just as long as you meet the minimum Windows and hardware requirments for your latest version. I have 6, 7, 8 and 8.2 on this one. However, the toolkits will only work under one version. I had to uninstall my toolkits under 7.1 just so they would work under 8.2. It was a pain, not very 'seamless' at all and I feel like we were forced to commit to 8.2. That makes me a little nervous since 8.2 seems to be a little too 'buggy' at this time.
PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2023

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,498 Views)
Hi, I have 8.0 and 8.20 installed here at work.

What I have found out is that you should install it in a low to high version basis. Like what was said above, the toolkits gets messed up. At least I think 8.0 and 8.20 shares a lot of toolkits, but if you have a version ealier, then you might want to make sure your toolkit installs are in different directories, and you might have to install toolkits for each version seperately. Good luck!

Ke
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,491 Views)
Does anyone know if I can reinstall the same toolkit multiple times after each version is installed.   Will the toolkit will be available with each version or only one copy of the toolkit for a specific version can be installed.
Matthew Fitzsimons

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,484 Views)

@mfitzsimons wrote:
Does anyone know if I can reinstall the same toolkit multiple times after each version is installed.   Will the toolkit will be available with each version or only one copy of the toolkit for a specific version can be installed.

After hacking on the latest version of LV (8.2) all afternoon a few months ago I came to the conclusion that the toolkits work only under one version of LV. That would make perfect sense from an NI marketing perspective. Why allow mulitple copies of lower rev LV when you can force users to one and only one version? And that version is 8.2.Smiley Indifferent
PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2023

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,474 Views)

PaulG thanks for providing me the answer that will save me many hours trying to load software on my new laptop.  i will only try to load one version of the toolkit.

Matthew Fitzsimons

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,465 Views)
Hi,

Before you uninstall a toolkit save the vi.lib\addons folder of the old version.  After installations you can restore the missing files from this folder.
I have currently 4 different labview versions on my machine and all toolkits work fine.

Best regards, Helmut
Message 9 of 10
(3,444 Views)
See the following link on how to install toolkits into multiple versions of labview.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/58be852cb35237c786256a290079df39

Currently use Labview 6.1, 7.0, and 7.1.1

HMPang

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,414 Views)