LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I develop a labview code from a remote computer?

Hi,

I am trying to check the feasability of a new data acquisition code on an old PC. The problem is that the target PC is very old and I can't install labview on it. I read my way through many of the RT tutorials am familiar with some of the basics features. I understand that I can create a stand-alone application on the old target PC. I also know that the fron pannels and some of the input can be controlled programatically. However, what are my options in case I need to modify the block diagram and run the application again? I want to know is there any way to develop the code on my office PC and debug/run it on the target PC. Unfortuantely, this was the only relevant thread I could find: http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=70&message.id=7462&query.id=1375136#M7462 . Does anyone know of any new features/modules that can help me?

I am working with LV 8.2 and RS232 communication with the target PC I/O devices.

I would be very greatful to anyone who could offer me some insights on how to tackle this problem.

Regards,

Tamir. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,158 Views)

What I can suggest is to build the EXE in offline computer with Remote debugging option enabled. Install in your actual PC and debug it using remote debugger from your PC 

Here is a quick link for remote debugging 

Message Edited by Vsh on 11-24-2009 07:31 AM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,152 Views)

Hi Vsh and thank you for the quick reply.

This is a great solution for remote debugging. However, it does not allow one to modify the code on the target PC. Are you familiar with some complimentary solution that enables to send/publish a new VI to a target PC? Maybe the two approaches can be combined to allow for true remote programming...

Aditional input/insights/suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Tamir.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,139 Views)

tamirduc wrote:

However, it does not allow one to modify the code on the target PC. Are you familiar with some complimentary solution that enables to send/publish a new VI to a target PC? Maybe the two approaches can be combined to allow for true remote programming...

I am not much familiar with such tool, (may be it does exist :smileyindifferent:). But another thing i could suggest is to call VIs dynamically in your built exe. If any changes required, modify in your pc and copy it to target machine. 

Remember, these vis (which you would like to modify quite frequently) must be called dynamically from the EXE. Just reload the vi with a click of button...

there you go....  :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,130 Views)

If I understand your idea correctly you suggest to add a dynamic call to a subVI within the EXE file and to modify this subVI code on my PC? That way, each time the EXE executes it uses my new and remotely modified subVI? In that case I will have to use remote desktop to activate the EXE file, right?

The problem is that I don't think that I'll be able to debug the remote subVI in such a case. I might be able to use the desktop execution trace toolkit to do that but I am not sure.

So many problems and so little time! Smiley Surprised

Thanks for your input.

Tamir. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,114 Views)

tamirduc wrote:

If I understand your idea correctly you suggest to add a dynamic call to a subVI within the EXE file and to modify this subVI code on my PC? That way, each time the EXE executes it uses my new and remotely modified subVI? In that case I will have to use remote desktop to activate the EXE file, right?

No. You dont have to use remote desktop. You just have to open the vi in network or copy to your pc and open, modify the vi, save/paste it back.
Assuming that you have already provided utilities in your exe to call vis dynamically, now just call the new vi in target pc using remote debugger.
Desktop execution toolkit is also not a bad idea. You can download it here 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,102 Views)
My concern is with your comment that your target is very old and you can't install LabVIEW on it. When you say this, do you mean that LabVIEW can't functionally be installed on the target machine, rather than installing it isn't an option that you are allowed to do? If this is the case then you will have a problem with using a LabVIEW exe, as this will require installing the LabVIEW Runtime engine, which is pretty much the core of LabVIEW either runtime or development. Also, if it is running an older OS make sure that any hardware you are planning on using will run on that platform, for instance certain versions of NI DAQ sotfware will not run on OS's before XP, current versions of LabVIEW won't work with older DAQ software, etc. I will say that the time to fix problems on an old machine is usually more expensive than getting a new machine, unless there is specific hardware that is in the old machine that isn't useable in the newer one, such as old ISA DAQ cards. But if that is the case it is even more likely that you will have the problems I mentioned before.
Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,091 Views)
Is it only RS-232 that you are using on this remote pc? If so, then you can run the program on your development pc and just share the serial port on the remote pc. You do this with VISA Server.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,090 Views)

Thanks Lv_Pro,

I have similar concerns and objections. Unfortunately, my proffessor does not share these concerns with us. He is determined to automate one of our chemistry experiments using the old PC and some VERY old PH measuring equipment. My hands are tied...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,069 Views)

Hi Dennis,

I was actually converging on the same solution when I read your reply. Do you know if I have to install the run-time engine or some other LV utilities/toolkits/modules to share the serial ports? I know how to do it using the DAQ-MAX but if you know a way to do it without the MAX it is even better.

Thanks again!

Tamir

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,068 Views)