LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I create an ActiveX control from LabVIEW

I have some LabVIEW code that I would like to convert into an ActiveX control. There was rumours that this was to be included in Version 7, but I can't find it. Is this possible?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,853 Views)
Hello,

Currently, you cannot create ActiveX controls in LabVIEW. I agree, it would be great to be able to embed custom LabVIEW code into other applications via ActiveX. I will make sure that this idea is suggested. In the meantime, if you want to embed your code into other VIs, consider the remote panel or subpanel capabilities of LabVIEW. These capabilities creates a shell containing the VI, much like an ActiveX control. More help about these functionalities can be found in the LabVIEW Help.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Liz Fausak
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,853 Views)

Now 6 years later 😄 is it now possible to create ActiveX-Controls using Labview?

Or any other way to bring a labview frontpanel to some other costum application?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,538 Views)
You still cannot create ActiveX controls. I doubt this will ever change. What would NI gain by doing this? You can, however, use the ActiveX server to control LabVIEW. This gives you access to the application environment and to individual VIs. Perhaps this will do what you need?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,523 Views)

Well, 

what i am thinking about is to create an application using a third party language. lets say delphi or c# or..... . This application has an ActiveX Container. Inside this Container i would like to insert a LabView - Control or even a whole Frontpanel (like subpanel in LabView itself). Making it more complex, it should work even with just the LabView-Runtime installed.

Thanks for response

With regards 

Ronny

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,465 Views)
While I agree that would be useful, it's probably a fairly large undertaking for NI. Your best bet is to submit it to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange so it gets noticed.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,448 Views)

foxi@autosoft wrote:

Well, 

what i am thinking about is to create an application using a third party language. lets say delphi or c# or..... . This application has an ActiveX Container. Inside this Container i would like to insert a LabView - Control or even a whole Frontpanel (like subpanel in LabView itself). Making it more complex, it should work even with just the LabView-Runtime installed.

Thanks for response

With regards 

Ronny

If all you want to do, is having LabVIEW like controls in your Delphi or VC application you probably want to look at Measuremetn Studio from NI. That is a collection of ActiveX controls that can be embedded into such applications. Those controls are maybe not as extensive and fancy as some of the LabVIEW controls but they are sure much better than having to draw your own waveform graph.

Wrapping LabVIEW controls into an ActiveX wrapper to be included into other applications is not likely ever going to happen. This would be like trying to build a tower by starting with the roof.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Message Edited by rolfk on 09-08-2009 08:18 PM
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 7 of 9
(4,421 Views)

Now 18 years later 

dj_tony_0-1620655692697.png

is it now possible to create ActiveX-Controls using Labview?

Or any other way to bring a labview frontpanel to some other costum application?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(1,915 Views)

No!! ActiveX is VERY much legacy technology according to Microsoft and anyone using that is pretty much on its own nowadays. Not only does Microsoft not support it actively anymore in even its own Office application (basically if it works it is nice for you otherwise you have bad luck) but most Windows developers nowadays hardly know what it is.

You can create .Net assemblies from LabVIEW code, but that is not meant to host UIs in other applications, although I'm sure it could be made to work with lots of fumbling. Those .Net assemblies are basically function libraries and while you can create even .Net object libraries they all derive from the basic .Net object class and can't derive from other classes.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,906 Views)