From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I build a LabVIEW executable which either does not require a run-time engine or is backwards compatible?

I have a PXI-8156B controller with a Windows NT OS in a PXI-1000B chassis. The 8156B has LabVIEW 7.x Evaluation installed and can open/run the evaluation copy's example VIs. When it is used to open a LabVIEW 8.6 VI, it gives the error message 'VI is not signed'. Is there any way of saving a LabVIEW 8.6 VI such that LabVIEW 7.x can open it?

Lately I have also been trying to use the application builder to make an executable file to load onto the 8156B, but the 8156B is unable to run the 8.6 run-time engine as it requires a Windows XP/2000/Vista OS. Is there any way around this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,731 Views)

LabVIEW 7.x cannot open VIs written in a newer version of LabVIEW. This is true of any version. If you have an 8.6 VI then you have to backsave it. This will require several steps: 8.6 -> 8.2 -> 8.0 -> 7.x. This also means you need the version of LabVIEW as noted in the sequence. Alternatively, you can uplaod the VI to this forum, as folks here are typically willing to backsave.

As for the Runtime: you need the same Runtime version as the version of LabVIEW that was used to create the application. The 7.x Runtime will not be able to run an 8.6 app. If your controller has LabVIEW 7 I don't understand why you're compiling it in 8.6. 

Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 04-09-2009 12:17 PM
Message 2 of 8
(2,728 Views)

To answer your first question: No.

To answer your second question: No.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,726 Views)

Thanks to both of you for responding. Smercurio, I can't compile anything on the PXI-8156B because the LabVIEW copy is 'Evaluation'. It cannot modify VIs. It can only view or run them.

Message Edited by ACavers on 04-09-2009 12:48 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,708 Views)
You should get an official statement on this from NI, but as far as I know if you have a valid license for LabVIEW 8.6 you can apply that license to a LabVIEW 7 installation. You just wouldn't be able to use both versions - you'd have to pick one.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,689 Views)
Just curious but is there a reason you don't want to upgrade the OS?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,682 Views)
NI has been contacted, problem appears to be solved. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,679 Views)

Well, in order to run LabVIEW 8.6 we'd need to upgrade to XP. The system barely has the capabilities to run XP (233 MHz processor and 64 MB RAM--absolute minimum requirements) and has already shown to be unstable. Alongside that is the fact that NT doesn't support USB, the network adapter is down for very odd reasons and so the fastest method of communication we have between it and another computer is HyperTerminal. This means--as far as I know--we can't take an image of the current OS and reinstall it if/when the XP upgrade goes horribly wrong. So we're a little uncomfortable with burning what looks like our last bridge.

Good idea, though. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,675 Views)