LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera missing from MAX

Hello,

I have an FLIR T series camera and I have connected it through USB mini-B cable with my PC but I cannot see it in MAX ( Just desktop webcam is visible in MAX).

Even IMAQdx does not appear in MAX but I can see the VIs of vision acquistion in the blockdigram by right clicking and going to Vision & Motion palette.

I have measurement and automation version of 2021 but my LabView and IMAQ, IMAQdx has 2017 version, is it because of that I cannot see the camera ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,268 Views)

The FLIR camera's are generally not using standard USB camera protocol and are as such not recognized by Windows as a camera. They also do not support the GeniCam standard so IMAQdx doesn’t recognize them either. Instead FLIR uses their own proprietary drivers to use the camera from their own application software which they sell separately.

They also sell SDK s for their camera families that you can use to access the camera from other software.But accessing such an SDK from LabVIEW (but also other applications) is a lot of work and therefore expensive.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,265 Views)

I contacted the FLIR customer service and they send me SDK to be used with LabView and also they gave me drivers for FLIR devices.

After installing the FLIR device drivers and connecting camera with my computer, I can see the camera under Network Adapter as 'FLIR Camera Network Device' (Picture attached).

Why is it showing there ? Does it mean tthe camera is GIGE-Complaint and I have to access the camera through some IP address ? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,232 Views)

That with the attached picture did not work.

But why it appears under Network devices is simply because the driver installer told Windows that it was a network device, nothing more and nothing less. And no it's not a GIGE camera because of that. That would require the driver to specifically be a GIGE driver, which I doubt very much that it is.

Yes you probably have to access that device over its IP address, but!!!!! Without some detailed protocol description from FLIR and lots of work yourself you can forget to try to do that yourself. You will have to work through the SDK documentation and understand how the LabVIEW drivers need to be installed/used. That can be hard but anything else is super hard to impossible so choose your fights wisely. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,220 Views)

Sorry, I forgot to attach picture.

But may be the FLIR device drivers that I installed are either too old or new with respect to the camera, that is why the device manager is showing the camera in network adapter section ?

I came across this while looking for a way out

https://www.flir.de/support-center/iis/machine-vision/application-note/getting-started-with-ni-max-a...

It is mentioned that for a USB-2 cameras I have to have a FlyCapture 2 installed. I looked for it on FLIR website but after clicking DOWNLOAD it directs me to some blank page.

What options do I have now ?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,215 Views)

I tried (for about a year!) to get a FLIR Grasshopper Camera to work with LabVIEW and IMAQdx.  I have several years of experience using Axis and Basler cameras and USB WebCams with IMAQdx, and think I know my way around IMAQdx and VAS.  But trying to access the functionality of this particular Camera using LabVIEW was a total nightmare.  We basically "gave up" and used the drivers that FLIR provided (not IMAQdx-compatible) and had to abandon LabVIEW for this project.

Note that the documentation from FLIR on how to connect IMAQdx to their cameras is similar to what we found.  MAX could "see" our camera, but we got the "other manufacturer's Driver" from MAX when we tried to access the Camera.  We followed the prompt and switched Drivers, and could then "see" the camera and do simple Snaps and Grabs, but to get the camera to do the things we needed it to do proved beyond our ability and patience.

Bob Schor 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,195 Views)