cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling VI's

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I created a menu with different buttons. Each button, when pressed, will open a new VI. This works perfectly on my PC until I work inside the project.

When I make the EXE file on another machine, all the paths to the files are no longer valid, of course.

I was wondering, is there a way for solve this problem? Wherever I will open the application I would like the button to open the correct VI, without specify the correct path each time on each machine.

Screen Shot 2014-11-27 at 19.55.05.png

Currently I specify the path manually:

Screen Shot 2014-11-27 at 19.58.11.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,270 Views)
Why do you use this method? Just drop the vi in the calling function.
/Y
G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 2 of 7
(3,227 Views)

Hello Yamaeda,

I don't understand, what do you mean by drop the vi in the calling function?

I used this method because I saw it on a online tutorial, but is probably better the one you suggest. I just would like to open the correct VI indipendently on which PC I will run the application.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,190 Views)

You are using VI Server to call a VI, and are waiting until the VI closes to continuue.  Take the VI and drop it onto your Block Diagram.  It should have Error In and Error Out terminals on the lower corners.  Instead of the VI Server calls, simply wire the VI itself into the error line.  This links the sub-VI with its calling VI, without your needing to know its path (when you plunk it down on the Block Diagram, you "find" it by looking it up by its path).

BS

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,145 Views)
And change the display properties of the subVI to show front panel when called and close afterward.

This method should have been covered in any basic tutorial you did.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,136 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author simo28

@simo28 wrote:

Hello Yamaeda,

I don't understand, what do you mean by drop the vi in the calling function?

I used this method because I saw it on a online tutorial, but is probably better the one you suggest. I just would like to open the correct VI indipendently on which PC I will run the application.

Regards

Instead of calling the path to Heart rate monitor.vi, drag the file from Explorer and drop it in the other vi.

See the attached files.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Download All
Message 6 of 7
(3,092 Views)

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,036 Views)