From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLARIFICATION REGARDING TCP / IP

Hello folks

i wish to control a LabVIEW VI through the internet using a browser. i have tried the WEB PUBLISHING TOOL . i read that this very tool works when the two systems or computers are coonected in the same network.

What should i do if i wish to control the VI from a remote location and both the LabVIEW systems are not connected across the same system.

I have read the TCP can help me transmit data in two different network, But can i use it control my VI or atleast fill in data like a password from the system which is not on the same network.

Thanks in advance

JALASHWA

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,347 Views)

It will work across the internet, by you might have to configure firewalls and NAT (port forwarding, public vs. Private address, etc.) accordingly. Is LabVIEW running on a private network behind nat?

Message 2 of 6
(2,336 Views)

You could use TCP/IP to establish a client-server relationship between two applications and send messages back and forth.  You would need to create a set of commands that a client would send to a server to have it do something.  You would be creating an "automation" interface of sorts for a controlling application to ask for services from the server.  Take a look at the "Simple TCP.lvpj" example project to see how a client server app could be written.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,328 Views)

@10Degree wrote:

You could use TCP/IP to establish a client-server relationship between two applications and send messages back and forth....

I thought he was just talking about the web publishing tool.

Even with your interpretation, configuring the network is the main barrier if it currently already works within the same network, but not across the public internet.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,316 Views)

Yes, you are right.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,309 Views)

Sir Altenbach,

Thank you for your swift response.

in your first reply you have mentoined that it will work. I wonder what were you refering to The WEB PUBLISHING TOOL or TCP.

i will you the process which i want to achieve. I have a VI which is running in a remote location. i want to feed in a password from an internet explorer present in another location and on a other network so that when the password reaches the VI , the VI should stop executing. 

Sir A, i am not very familiar with these complex terms,, could you simplify it down please???

JALASHWA

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,302 Views)