From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN trigger frame

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a simple problem but I do not know how to solve it. I need to wait in a loop till I get a specific CAN frame from the device I am testing. The frame has no data field so I cannot specify a signal name. I tried to use the XNET Read in 'Frame CAN' mode and I used the size of the output array as a stop for the while loop. I thought that if no frame arrived that the size would be zero and if a frame arrived it would be 1. However, it always gives a size of 1 regardless of whether the frame arrives or not. The help text talks about trigger signals and the functionality sounds exactly what I want but I do not understand how to use it. It shows :trigger:.<frame name> as the signal name but non alpha numeric characters are not allowed in a signal name.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,360 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Andrew_Quick

Andy,

You may get some more information by posting on the Automotive and Embedded Networks forum. In addition, you might want to loop through the incoming CAN frames, perform a comparison on the payload and arbitration ID to stop the while loop when a certain CAN frame is on the bus.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,303 Views)

Hi Bryan,

Thank you. I wil accept your reply as a solution and repost onto the automotive forum. In the mean time I found an alternate solution which is to use a queued CAN sequence instead of a single point CAN sequence. The queued sequence will time out and set the error cluster if no frame has arrived unlike the single point sequence.

Regards

Andy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,264 Views)