From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bullet with mounting accelerometer hits the load cell and does not provide the same readings

Please find attached the graph. I connected a scope with the output from the signal conditioner of the accelerometer and it provides the same result with labview. 

The impact force is the peak acceleration multiplied by the mass of the bullet. The bullet is hemispherical with round nose yes. The load cell has a domed surface. 

Y axis top graph  - Newton

Y axis bottom graph  - g (Acceleration)

TIme.png

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(1,447 Views)

I would say maximum impact force should not be constant. Impact energy (= bullet mass x drop height x g) should be. Hemispherical bullet can rotate and peak force will change depending whether impact force is along the bullet center of mass or not. With spherical bullet it always is (if hitting the center of cell dome) and trial results will be more consistent. 

To calculate energy you need to integrate the signal - I would say first peak of the force graph.

Also

Force calculations look like a running average of acceleration. It changes the shape of the signal and distorts maximum value - if you are interested in force maximum and shape, integration should be  shorter.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(1,435 Views)

>> Force calculations look like a running average of acceleration. It changes the shape of the signal and distorts maximum value - if you are interested in force maximum and shape, integration should be  shorter.

To correct myself, it looks like frequency window filtered - no offset, not high frequencies. 

>> Take a look at the power spectrum of your accelerometer signal .... compare it with the spec of your load cell 

Processes happening should be covered by accelerometer (looks ok) and not overlap with cell resonants, otherwise it is hard to get good results.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(1,422 Views)

The impulse from the drop test is calculated by integrating the area under the force versus time curve.

basically, I am interested for the accelerometer readings. The gain automatically changes on the signal conditioner once the user change the range (up tp +/- 10,000 g) and the sensitivity (0.000516 V/g) of the accelerometer. Does this <reading> of the gain which in this case is 1.97 needs to be taken into account?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(1,391 Views)

So, please give some more information on your sensors. 

accelerometer is ICP .... type?    Bandwith of signal conditioner? type?

loadcell? type? bandwidth? ... signal conditioning?

Your mass seems to have a resonace at ~4kHz and your loadcell at ~2kHz ?

If you put both on a shaker your simple peak approach migth work up to maybe 800Hz ,   personal guess ...

here is a paper on model based force transducer shock calibration from a colleague

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(1,369 Views)

Accelerometer certificate

1 axis (vertical)

Single ended

Range = +/- 10,000 g

Sensitivity =0.532 mV/g = 0.000532 V/g

Resonant frequency = 100 kHz

Bias Voltage = 10,8 V

Untitled.png

Signal Conditioner certificate