From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Built Application with OPC server

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone
I am building application on development machine using S7- 1200 wich connected to OPC server
and I want to build application to run this VI on another PC without installing labview ,however when i finished building the application with the installer and install the application on another PC it can't connect to shared variables so i installed NI opc server on this machine and add the server to the OPC software wich contains the tags and variables
but it also doesn't connect to this opc server
so how to make the application run on this another PC with opc server !
how to tell the VI to use a specific opc server on this PC that doesn't have labview?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,455 Views)

Hello !!!

does this post hidden !!

where is the Help !!

can someone help ?!!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,430 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MAJDGH

Hello,

How are you calling the OPC server ? Are you creating an OPC client from LabVIEW and binding it to shared variable ? If that's the case then you're using the LabVIEW DSC module and this works fine in the developpment environment.

However whenever you're deploying (creating executable or installer) a VI that uses the DSC module, you need to have a run-time license on every computer that's running the executable. https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/product/labview-datalogging-and-supervisory-control-module.html

the other solution would be to use the socket api in LabVIEW to call the NI OPC server.the attached VI illustrates how to do it.

Hope this helps !

Message 3 of 9
(5,407 Views)

yes I am using NI DSC module and yes I have OPC server licensed on the run time machine but the variables that I have created are not bounded ! you mean they must bounded and add your code to my code and edit it to the name of my server to call this OPC server 

and every variable that i will call i must use this datascket open block and read every variablein this way ?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,388 Views)

Thanks ... I used Data Socket and it works ... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,372 Views)

Hello @mounzer_saleh,

I am having the same problem here but I am still Urgently confused in the following:

1) NI LabVIEW Datalogging and Supervisory Control Module

The LabVIEW development includes the DSC module, however the run-time license is not included and I need to buy it in order to use the NI OPC server on other PCs with the executable labview application ... Am I right?

2) "Other Solution to use socket api in LabVIEW to call the NI OPC server"

Is this a totally alternative solution which does not rely on NI OPC Server Run-time? because I did not understand specifically what you mean by other solution here. 

3) In LabVIEW 2017,
It was mentioned that it already includes a toolkit called "LabVIEW OPC UA" and it is now independent from the DSC toolkit, Does OPC UA include the NI OPC server and licensed for Run-time as well? or still the NI OPC server must be ordered separately?

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,772 Views)

Hello Ahmed,

Please note below the answers to your question:

1- The DSC module requires a Run-Time license to run an executable, and it is purchased independently. 

2- The attached VI you mentioned runs DataSocket which is independent of OPC & DSC APIs, therefore does not require a DSC module Run-Time license for an executable. It can serve as a client for any OPC server, not necessarily NI OPC server. The example was provided as a demonstration with NI OPC server, but it can work with any OPC server.

3- The OPC UA is now a separate toolkit from DSC module that needs to be downloaded separately from LabVIEW (not included). To use the OPC UA in executables you need to have the OPC UA Run-Time and to purchase a deployment license. Also note that OPC UA Toolkit does not include the NI OPC server, so that must be downloaded separately or through DSC module.

Let me know if that answers your question.

Best Regards,

Samah Chazbeck

Message 7 of 9
(4,764 Views)

I want to add to Samah's post that the DataSocket API can only act as an OPC DA client and not an OPC UA client.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 8 of 9
(4,760 Views)

Hello Samah, 

Thank you very much for the detailed illustrations. The licenses issue is now much clearer to me 🙂

I was just confused at the beginning because I usually find the NI OPC Server, but now I understood that it's a totally independent platform and it was only included with LabVIEW packages as a Demo.

Thank you very much Samah and Jacobson for your support,

Best Regards,

Ahmed Zahran

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,688 Views)