cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Built Application still looking for vi's on target machine

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello

I had an issue with a packed library, which i could not load into a LabVIEW 2020 project,

I contacted the provider and they re-issued me a new library written in 2020 which I could then use in my project and successfully build an application.

I tested the application on my development PC and it could run.

When i try to run on the target PC as the program is loading it is still looking for items from the packed library.

Can anyone help me with this problem.

Many thanks in advance, with best regards, Lee

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(419 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LeeBowers1

There are a few things that could go wrong that I would check.

1. The PPL is not being copied/moved with your installer to the deployed machine.
  2. The PPL is being copied, but the location is changing and something about the PPL desires a specific location
  3. The PPL is built without allowing future versions to run it, and the runtime engine on the target computer is newer than 2020 so it can't load the PPL.
Message 2 of 4
(410 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LeeBowers1

Yeah, sounds like your PPL isn't getting loaded to the target machine. One thing to know about PPL's is that, AFAIK, you can't "build them in" to another executable. If you want them "built in" you will need to get an lvlib from your supplier, not a ppl. The whole point of PPL's is so that they can be swapped out without affecting the executable.

The other option is that the PPL is just in a new location. Finding PPL's during builds can be something of a nightmare. The relative path of the PPL in development generally needs to be the same as the relative path between the executable file and the PPL. See this thread for more info:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Missing-files-when-building-an-executable-that-uses-PPLs/td-p/38961...

Generally speaking I'd avoid PPL's unless absolutely necessary. They can be a LARGE pain in the butt. If you need 'em, you need 'em, but if you don't need them then avoid it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(399 Views)

Thank you for the replies to my question.

On reading the responses, I moved a copy of the packed library onto the target machine, in the same location as the PC where I did the development work. The exe can now find the functions and all works well.

Thank you again

Message 4 of 4
(328 Views)