LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building .exe under windows XP

I have previously been running labview 6.1 on an NT machine and it was working fine. Now however I have upgraded to XP and the executables that I run now no longer work correctly. If I try to recreate and executable from the original vi created on NT the .exe file is smaller than when created on the NT machine. Any Ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,531 Views)
What's not working right? Are you using any hardware? Serial, Perhaps?
The executable created should be different each time becuase the application builder embeds some information into it. How much smaller is it?
Do the executables you built in NT work OK in XP?

(2,523 Views)
I am controlling a rack and stack setup using LABVIEW to control an AGILENT VSA. The executables I created in the past are still worknig fine however when I launch the VI and rebuild the exact same .exe it does not work. When I run the new .exe it tells me I have errors that I need the full versiopn of LABVIEW to fix but the errors do not show up in the VI when I open it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,500 Views)
Hi Tom,

How are you communicating with the hardware? Using GPIB or Serial? Are you using VISA functions for the communication? Can you run the VI in the LV Development System?

My guess is that your VISA/GPIB/Serial hardware/software configuration has changed since the old OS. Use MAX to confirm communication with instruments and then make sure to get the VI working with the new setup before building it into an executable.
- Philip Courtois, Thinkbot Solutions

Thinkbot Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,481 Views)
Thank you all for your help. I still dont understand how it managed to do it but here is what I finally discovered what happened. When I open the VI on my XP machine there is no indication of a problem until I generate the .exe file. However I am using a set of ring constants to contol the applications through comAPI for the AGILENT VSA that are set within the code ,if I manually change any one of these in the VI the VI now gives me an unlinked error. If I then relink and rename the connections and then create the .exe it works. This never happened on NT and I have no idea how it happens on XP.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,477 Views)
Hi Tom,

It seems like the Ring constants (are they Type Def.s?) need to be re-linked for the application to work. This might also be accomplished by doing a Force Compile (Shift+Ctrl+Run button).

Have you tried to disable the "Disconnect type definitions and remove unused polymorphic VI instances" box in the Application Builder under "Application Settings"?
- Philip Courtois, Thinkbot Solutions

Thinkbot Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,453 Views)