LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a LabView executable with supporting files

Use "Application Directory" instead of "Current VI's Path"

AppDir.png

Also, you should not use string constants with \ in them as inputs to Build Path. Change them to path constants.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(1,263 Views)

The application directory is the right call, however I would like to recommended the following modification, that way you can switch from development environment to application environment without worries.

Both Cases ShownBoth Cases Shown

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(1,248 Views)

McDuff, part of the point of the Application Directory is that you do not need to mess with the App.kind.  As already stated, just make sure your support files have the same relative path to the project file as your executable.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 13 of 19
(1,245 Views)

Got it, thanks.

Sometimes though I do not always use the same relative path, not sure why, I guess that is sloppiness on my part. (The support directory in the EXE always default to the ...\myapp\data, did not know that could be changed.)

Cheers,

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(1,243 Views)

Thanks to everyone that responded. Your feedback helped and now I have a functional executable.

regards

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(1,195 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

McDuff, part of the point of the Application Directory is that you do not need to mess with the App.kind.  As already stated, just make sure your support files have the same relative path to the project file as your executable.

@crossrulz, can you explain (illustrate?) exactly how you would use Application Directory for relative file path discovery that works at BOTH development time and run time?
It is my understanding that at run time (from an executable) the path to a sub folder must not only include the application directory of the exe but also include the exe filename itself, right?  For example:

Say you have a development folder structure:
C:\lvproj-folder\test sequences

and an installation folder structure (where you exe is installed) of:
C:\exe-install-folder\test sequences

Using Application Directory vi at development time gives you: c:\lvproj-folder
Using Application Directory vi at development time gives you: C:\exe-install-folder
However (and this is my point of question) to actually access the sub folder at run time (inside the exe) would need to be:

C:\exe-install-folder\application.exe\subfolder
NOT following: C:\exe-install-folder\subfolder

So that means that at run time I would need to add the exe name to the output of the Application Directory vi, which means I need to have use the App.Kind property to drive a Case statement right?

^TeraTech.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Check out this lengthy post of mostly complaints)
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(1,117 Views)

However (and this is my point of question) to actually access the sub folder at run time (inside the exe) would need to be:

C:\exe-install-folder\application.exe\subfolder
NOT following: C:\exe-install-folder\subfolder

No, the discussion is about a subfolder next to your executable, not inside of it. The default one is called "data" I believe, but I usually have a "config" folder as well.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(1,108 Views)

@TeraTech wrote:

So that means that at run time I would need to add the exe name to the output of the Application Directory vi, which means I need to have use the App.Kind property to drive a Case statement right?

If it's inside the EXE, it's compiled and can't change.  If you're creating files, I'm not sure how.

Your solution is to use a logical file structure for saving and running your app.  That way, the relative path from the project and the EXE is the same.  At that point, no.  You will not need a case structure to drive anything.

A key learning point here, if it's able to change, it's NOT in the EXE.  It's referenced by the EXE

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(1,088 Views)

Sorry, as the previous reply indicated I now realize this discussion is about support files not referencing vis in the exe at run time.

^TeraTech.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Check out this lengthy post of mostly complaints)
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(1,080 Views)