LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build waveform Input parameter input t0 should be timestamp. but some example I saw numeric constant. is it possible

Solved!
Go to solution

Build waveform Input parameter input t0 should be timestamp. but some example I saw numeric constant. is it possible?
2024-09-05_19h50_56.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(580 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Abhilash_Adv

Obviously it is possible, else you would not see it. 😄

You can easily convert between timestamp and DBL and back to timestamp and there is typically no noticeable loss. The t0 of a waveform defines the time of the first point. A timestamp is useful for absolute time (the first point is today right now) and a DBL is useful for relative time (e.g. if the first point has time=zero, the start of the experiment). If you display the data on a graph, make sure to set the time axis formatting accordingly.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(557 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Abhilash_Adv

OK, Finally I am at a computer and it seems you are right. For some reason, modern waveforms don't accept DBL for some unknown reason.

There are two items to consider:

(A) I typically use the "legacy waveform", which is just a cluster of t0, dt, and data that existed before the introduction of the waveform datatype. Graphs understand it and will adjust the x axis scaling accordingly.  I like it because it also accepts 2D arrays as data, for multiple plots.

altenbach_0-1725643788578.png

(B) The special timestamp datatype might have been introduced later the waveform datatype, so very old code might still have a DBL as dt. I am really not sure about the details anymore, just guessing here. Seems like you just need to convert as follows:

altenbach_1-1725643972634.png

Message 4 of 4
(451 Views)