LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build installer that configures "Unknown Device" with given INF files

Hello, I have a Labview code that interacts with a Microchip Microcontroller via viratual com port. In order for this interaction to be successfull I need to connect the microcontroler to the PC, go to "Device Manager", find my "Unknown Device", select to upgrade driver for the unknown device, navegate to where I have the INF files, then select the folder that contains the INF files. All these steps will change my "Unknown Device" to a "USB Communications Port" device that I can use as any regular COM port. All previously mentioned works perfectly. 

My question comes when I try to build the installer for this Labview program for distribution for other users. How do I tell the project installer to install the INF files for my "unknown device'?

The following image is how my device looks before installing INF files:

before_drivers.png

The following image is how my device looks after manually installing the INF files:

after_drivers.png

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,476 Views)
Are you saying you don't know how to install it to the inf folder or don't know how to include the installer that comes with your device?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,469 Views)

When building the project installer, how do I tell it to automatically (during installation of my labview program) install those drivers to my unknown device.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,460 Views)
If you include the file in your project, you can tell the installer to copy it to the Windows folder. You also have the option of including a third party installer if that is what you have.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,449 Views)

Exactly, and I have done that before, I have copied files to other folders, but how do I make the installer to automatically set those files as drivers for my "unknown device"? There is no third party installation driver.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,427 Views)

For me it is still an important question!

CLD
NI WorldClass 2015
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,191 Views)
Placing the inf file in the appropriate folder is all that you should need to do. It is Windows that will find and use that file when you plug the device in.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,174 Views)

Well, sounds like a nice idea!

So far, today I have been trying to control features of device manager: Upgrade SW and so on. I must admit that it is painful.

Could you please tell me where this directory is?)

And thanks for reply!

CLD
NI WorldClass 2015
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,161 Views)
As I mentioned, it's the inf folder.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,153 Views)