Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build Error, Error 6 occurred at AB_Source_VI.lvclass:

Solved!
Go to solution

When I try to build an .exe file Labview gives me an error listed below:

An error occurred while saving the following file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2009\vi.lib\Utility\error.llb\Convert property node font to graphics font.vi

Visit the Request Support page at ni.com/ask to learn more about resolving this problem. Use the following information as a reference:

Error 6 occurred at AB_Source_VI.lvclass:Close_Reference.vi -> AB_Build.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi -> AB_Application.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi -> AB_EXE.lvclass:Copy_Files.vi -> AB_Build.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_Application.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_EXE.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_Build.lvclass:Build_from_Wizard.vi -> AB_UI_Frmwk_Build.lvclass:Build.vi -> AB_UI_FRAMEWORK.vi -> AB_Item_OnDoProperties.vi -> AB_Item_OnDoProperties.vi.ProxyCaller

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  Generic file I/O error.
=========================
NI-488:  I/O operation aborted.

I have built this application dozens of time previously so I have no idea where this problem is coming from.

I would appritiate any help you guys can provide

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,654 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dublin

Dublin:

It's possible you may have exceeded the 255-character file path limit, which would cause that error in the application builder (see this KB). If the temp path the application builder was using was close to the limit, it may have rolled over when creating a new folder with an extra character or something.

You can try the steps listed in the KB to see if that's the issue for sure. Alternatively, you may try restarting the computer and/or clearing out your Windows temp directories and attempting the build again.

Hope that helps!

Caleb Harris

National Instruments | Mechanical Engineer | http://www.ni.com/support
Message 2 of 6
(6,631 Views)

I get the same problem but only intermittantly. I just keep trying and eventually it will work. I have been meaning to post about this but I am trying to figure out how to reliably reproduce it. It seems to not happen when the build directory does not exist. I am using 10.0f2 32 bit on Windows 7.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,625 Views)

Thanks for your help.

It was the path name being too large. I reduced the names on couple of the root folders leading to the project and the problem went away. The funny part though is that this project hasn't moved at all so i don't know why this issue just came up.

Anyways thanks for you help

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,620 Views)

Steve:

Based off the assumption that you are seeing the same issue, there are a few things you can try to see if the behavior changes.

If the issue only occurs when the build directory is alread in place, it may be that you are right at the character limit. If the application builder adds a couple of characters to avoid overwriting an existing file, that might put it over the edge. This is a small possibility, but it's also easy to fix. Just specify the build path to be somewhere... shorter.

Alternatively, bury the build path in a "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" sub-folder and see if it returns the error every time. Robot Very Happy

Caleb Harris

National Instruments | Mechanical Engineer | http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,585 Views)

Thanks charris, I moved my build to C:\builds and have not seen a problem.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,574 Views)