LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug with Labview 2016 32 bit and Windows 10

Labview 2016 and Windows 10 seems to have a problem.  Anyone else experience this?  Any fix for it?

We're running LabVIEW 2016 32 bit with Windows 10, development package, not stand-alone executables.  After a time, about 1 day, the vi front panel window (and the vi is not in "run" mode) will become non-responsive.  I cannot edit anything on the screen, nor can I move the window around the desktop.  VERY annoying.  The only way to get control of the vi again is to close Labview and reopen it.

Is there a fix?  

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,659 Views)

I have never heard of that before.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,648 Views)

Is a VI running during this time? What does the task manager say? Is CPU or memory pegged?

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,635 Views)

Until quite recently, this combination was my "go-to" LabVIEW setup.  I still have Windows 10 (Pro) and LabVIEW 2016 (32-bit) installed on all of my machines, but now have also installed LabVIEW 2018 SP1 and LabVIEW 2019, and am mainly using LabVIEW 2018 for current Development work.

I've never had a problem installing or using LabVIEW 2016.  I have mainly installed from a "Distribution USB Key", but have also gone to the NI Web Site and downloaded a Web Installer.

What packages are you installing?  [I recommend "the minimum that you need"].  What Drivers?  Do you do it "all at once" or in pieces?

Is it possible that there is something "not quite right" with your PC and/or your Windows 10 installation?

In addition to the three machines that I'm currently using almost every day, I've installed this version of LabVIEW on Windows 10 in several Teaching Labs and have not experienced any difficulty (and the labs have been running for three years ...).  I've also installed this version for my colleagues.

Bob "LabVIEW Installation Guru" Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,633 Views)

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.  I've been using LV 2016 Dev with no problems at all with Windows 7 Pro on several different computers. That combo has worked great for me over the years. The Windows 10 on this new system is also Pro.  I installed LV with the "recommended" packages.  I'll try downloading the latest update of Windows 10 and see if the problem goes away.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,616 Views)

I don't recall if another vi was running or not.  I'll pay attention next time. What I have the system doing is pretty simple, and wouldn't tax an old XP PC.  I'll try downloading the latest Windows 10 update and see what happens.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,614 Views)

Are you opening the VI from a project file? Try opening just the VI and not load the project. There are some oddities that can happen when loading from within the project, especially if the project is large. For example, after a while, edits or movements of nodes on the BD can take 10s+, z-order of windows can shuffle, opening properties on a class can timeout, and perhaps the FP can become slow too.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,563 Views)