LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug with Base LVOOP object variants and flatten string.

I found a bug when if the base LabVIEW Object is wrapped in a variant (even indirectly), it cannot sucessfully be flattened to and from a string.

Neither of these should produce an error.

21071i02471ADC66FE6708

21073i5354CAE9E46BA8C7

And if you try to work around it with XML, it can lockup or crash.

21075iB288B13812CDE8A4

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,074 Views)

In the top diagram, why do you have two "to Variant" functions.  Deleting one of them fixes the error.

In the next, you create an array, then a cluster with the array as one of its elements.  After conversion to variant, you again create an array and then a cluster.  Why would anyone want to do this?  Removing the Build Array and Bundle after the To Variant gets rid of the error.

Were you purposely trying to break things or do you have a legitimate use for such code?

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,066 Views)

The first is the simplest demonstration of the problem.

The second is to show that problem is indirect (through multiply layers of different structures).

As for the purpose I was writing a SQLite interface that could write any form of LabVIEW data while maintaining variant attributes. I have to serialize the data somehow so the first attempt I just packed it into a variant then turned that into a string with flatten to string (since the variant contains the type info for what it holds I just need to use the type info for a variant to unserialize it). That failed with the first bug if I tried to store a variant with a attribute holding something down classed to the LabVIEW base object.

So instead of wrapping it in a variant I tried directly flattening it to a string and storing the type info from variant to flatten as a pascal string at the front of serialized data (of course this breaks if a LabVIEW object two variant levels deep is passed in). But that destroys variant attributes. So I tried wrapping that in a cluster then flattening the cluster (hence error two, and since it's indirect I can't wrap it in anything to avoid the problem).

So the current work around is to never store anything in the LabVIEW base object. So If I wanted a generic LVOOP container I would have to make a class for storable items then everything that can be stored would have to inherit from that.

I'm mainly posting since unknown bugs are rarely fixed, and this one is a bit obscure.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,059 Views)