From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Bug?] Removing Drive during Installation Causes Error - LabVIEW 2010 SP1

Hi

I randomly noticed that when I removed a hard drive (portable, not related to installation at all) during installation LabVIEW 2010 SP1 the installer generated an error.

I never continued to see what happened, I restarted the installer just to be safe.

I don't know why licencing? has to care about my portable HDD, but it obviously does?

Cheers

-JG 

Installer Error.png

Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,777 Views)

Is P:\ the removable drive?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,770 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

Is P:\ the removable drive?

Yes, as per my OP it is a portable HDD.

Cheers

-JG

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,766 Views)

Does this only happen in the "Computing space requirements...." stage of the installer, or at any point during the install?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,722 Views)

@Kyle T wrote:

Does this only happen in the "Computing space requirements...." stage of the installer, or at any point during the install?

Thanks KyleI didn't have time to pull it out at different stages of the install to test (that and I wasn't game to), so it just happened to me at the beginning.

Cheers

-JG

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,710 Views)

I'll test this out on my own and see if I can replicate it.  Thanks for the heads up!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,687 Views)

Cheers - I was able to replicate this twice on two separate machines.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,672 Views)

I think the LabVIEW installer keeps track of ALL your removable drives, so it "notices" when one goes away.  It may be an operating system thing.  Have you tried it while installing other software?

A good rule of thumb is: NEVER mess with your drives - ANY of them - while you're installing something.

Bill

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,654 Views)

OP wow you solved my problem.  I was repairing DAQ but it was taking hours.  I sat for the longest time and tried to figure it out.  Scouring the internet when I came across your mention of a portable drive.  Now mind you my portable drive is completely empty and I had just reformated it.  Lab view was just hanging on "computing computing space requirements" then after half an hour might install on part of 98.  Talk about slow!  This is a horrible problem!  I unpluged my portable hard drive and sure enough whammo It's installing them in a flash!  I would say your right on there is a problem here.  An empty portable hard drive attached to a computer should in no way have that kind of effect.  

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,442 Views)