LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bookmark Manager Dependencies

@RavensFan wrote:

Correct.

Main VI.  Perhaps a few key subVI's.  Anything dynamically called.  Or perhaps a few other VI's that are main VI's in their own right, but are auxiliary to the project like a VI that perhaps I would use on the side to display a graph, build a config file, or do some extra analysis, but is never really a part of the main application.

Also, any files such as libraries that I created, or may have copied from vi.lib but modified to make my own version.

No way would I say what I do is what everyone should be doing, but it works for me and my workflow.

I find that if I tried to move everything out of dependencies and into the project, I soon lose track of what VI's are truly dependent, or which ones are stale and are no longer used but still exist in the project because I might have used them at one time.

Bill, this is what "Libraries" are for.  You group a bunch of related functions into a lvlib file, hang a lvproj around them that contains the lvlib, the Unit Tests, and Documentation, and manage the Sub vis, sandbox code , "Obsolete" vis and whatnots by declaring their access scope as private! breaking unknown callers!  and just add the lvlib to your calling project.  Hell, you can even PACK your source lvlib into a lvlibp to make it 1 file! and really clean up your dependencies.

a dependency list in a project should be short, sweet and clean.  as in "I can install all of these dependency's from one or two VIPM packages" 

or to re-quote No way would I say what [you] do is what everyanyone should be doing.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(1,514 Views)

I did mention libraries.  But not all VI's are going to in libraries.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(1,501 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

I find that if I tried to move everything out of dependencies and into the project, I soon lose track of what VI's are truly dependent, or which ones are stale and are no longer used but still exist in the project because I might have used them at one time.

Interesting to see how we are all "re-inventing the wheel", some with Wire Rims, some with "spinner" hubcaps, etc.

I'm of the "Put (Almost) Everything in the Tree" school.  I find that I occasionally have a "great idea" that two weeks later turns out to be "not so great".  Many of my Projects have a Folder called "Obsolete", where I "plant" these things.  I have a separate "Obsolete" Tree that is not in my main Tree, so I can "hide it from myself" when doing "Find" within the Project (it's in the Project, but not in memory).  It gets archived in SVN until I'm sure I don't need it, then I just delete it (and re-commit), knowing I can always get it back if necessary (so far, I haven't needed to do this).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(1,489 Views)