From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackfin programming

I am trying to take an existing Blackfin example and modify it for front panel control, but I am not having any success. I need help. Please.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,276 Views)

Hi Larry,

Can you be a litte more specific?  Which example are you trying to modify?  How is it not working?

Thanks,

Janell R

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,255 Views)
Hello Janell,

I'm sorry about that. That message was never supposed to get posted to this forum. It was the start of a message to Tech Support, but I screwed up and hit the wrong button. However, since you were kind (or foolish) enough to respond, let me tell you about my problem.

I have (on shorterm, 2 week, temporary loan) an Analog Devices BF537 EZ-Kit Lite along with an evaluation copy of LabVIEW Embedded for Blackfin. Working with the shipping examples I was able to compile, download and run the "Line Out" example. It's cute, but it's not very practicle for my application. What I need is an interactive program that would allow me to change the frequency and amplitude from the host computer. Attempts to make this work have been, just like resistance, futile! I think(?) that the use of the circular buffer, and my lack of understanding, is part of the problem. It seems that once that buffer is loaded, it's GAME OVER.

Not letting my lack of knowledge stop me, I thought a different approach would be to start with the "Line In-Out" program and modify it so that it was out only. But when I tried to get that sample VI to run I soon learned that it doesn't work if you compile it for the debug mode of operation. If you compile it without debug and simply use the "run" command it does work. However, without the debug mode there doesn't seem to be a way to send commands to the BF537 over the USB connection. Maybe it's supposed to be done using the TCP/IP connection. Who knows? Not me!

So that a quick look at the start of my problems. I want an interactive audio signal generator that uses the Blackfin board. After that I want an interactive filter application. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Larry
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,238 Views)
Hello Larry,

I was curious as to what error you received when you tried to run the "Line In Out" example program in debug mode?  I have tested this example here with a 537 EZ kit and it runs fine in debug mode.  Also a better example you might want to look at for your application is the "Audio Filter" example that is also part of the example programs installed with the Blackfin Module.  To find all the examples available for this module you can look at the "Example Finder" in LabVIEW.  In the "Browse" tab choose the option for "Directory Structure"  All of the Blackfin examples will be located at: lvemb >> Blackfin >> BF537.  In this example they use an inline C Node to implement a filter built with the digital filter design toolkit.  You could easily implement this same program with a case structure that chooses different Filters, frequencies, or amplitudes based on user input.  So let us know about the error you are receiving and check out that example for a possible better starting point.  Thanks and have a great day!

Regards,
Mark T
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,216 Views)
Hello Mark,

I would be happy to answer your questions, but I would prefer to take this correspondence off of this public forum and back into the land of private email. There should be an open Support Request (#7169815) for this item. Please send me an email with your address referencing this number and I'll get back to you immediately.

Thank you.

Larry
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,182 Views)
Hi Larry,

I'm glad we were able to talk today about your application.  If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,162 Views)
Hello Matt,

Thank you for all your help and your candor today. It was truly appreciated.

Larry
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,156 Views)
My pleasure, Larry - best of luck with your application, and let us know if we can be of assistance!
Cheers,

Matt Pollock
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,139 Views)