From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to search a text file for a keyword?

Solved!
Go to solution

So I would like to implement an ability of my VI to open a text file and then using some kind of search function, locate and highlight a keyword that the user enters. Pretty much like when you hit Ctrl F in your internet browser and other places. 

I've tried List Folder Function, but that only says whether a file you name is in a certain location. And I've tried Match Pattern but that only splices the file into before and after segments of where the keyword is. 

Is there a better function to do this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,636 Views)

Hi Orta,

so you know how to open and load a (text) file. And you already know a function you can use to search for keywords.

What else do you need?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,600 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ShogunOrta

You can use a while loop and a shift register to go through the text using the Match pattern function. If you find a match, you can go to next iteration and use a new offset value. You also need to check when you finished searching the string. This should be a simple task to program. Try to do it, and if you find problems to solve this, upload your VI here (not a screenshot!) so people can help you...

edit: something like this can help:

match2.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,598 Views)