LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be careful with formula node!

Well, I live in the US, and it's quite obvious that the rest of the world doesn't matter.

So... what's the problem?  Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 36
(1,224 Views)
Well I have a love-hate relationship with the metric system.  In regular life I hate it because I grew up with the other units and I have an intuitive grasp of them.  Whenever calculations are required, metric obviously rules.  Can't get any simpler or more logical.  But what's with the decimal comma?
Jim

LV 2020
Message 12 of 36
(1,220 Views)

lmtis wrote:
Well I have a love-hate relationship with the metric system.  In regular life I hate it because I grew up with the other units and I have an intuitive grasp of them.  Whenever calculations are required, metric obviously rules.  Can't get any simpler or more logical.  But what's with the decimal comma?

Agreed.  (I knew my earlier comments would get a a bit of a flame war going.Smiley Wink)

Learning engineering in college, it was definitely easier working problems using the metric system.  But now in the real world, I don't do so many problems from scratch.  Equations and formulas are predetermined/preprogrammed by Engineering standards, spreadsheets, programs....  Once the pain of conversion factors was done and verified the first time for whatever we use, it isn't necessary to reinvent the equations/conversion every day.  Growing up in the US, I have an innate feel for how much 100 lbs. is or how long 6 feet are.  KG, no sense of weight at all.  And certainly not for how long something like 450 mm would be.

Wayne's wikipedia link was pretty interesting as to how a comma (or really a comma like symbol) was used in ancient times to be the separator.  And the comment that the Germans use the German word for comma.

But really, the use of a comma as a separator is really way too much trouble in the modern computer world.  Just browse the forums.  A few times a month, someone is having problems using a comma separated value file with Excel because a comma was also used as the decimal separator.  Also, commas are traditionally used as separator in lists.  I know those comma loving countries will never stop using it, but you've got to admit using a decimal comma has caused people far more headaches than have been caused by a decimal point.

Message 13 of 36
(1,217 Views)

Well the fact of the matter is that the comma has just as much tradition as the decimal point.....

I get the impression that our american colleagues are getting close to refer to the others using the comma seperator as "Commies"..... Smiley Tongue

Hey, maybe that's what started the cold war...

Shane

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 36
(1,210 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:

Well, I live in the US, and it's quite obvious that the rest of the world doesn't matter.

So... what's the problem?  Smiley Very Happy

Strange..... Smiley Indifferent I was sure the Gorge Bush doctrine was not vailid any moreSmiley Very Happy 

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 36
(1,186 Views)

[quote]Well I have a love-hate relationship with the metric system.  In regular life I hate it because I grew up with the other units and I have an intuitive grasp of them.  Whenever calculations are required, metric obviously rules.  Can't get any simpler or more logical.  But what's with the decimal comma? [/quote]

"In the Middle Ages, before printing, a bar ( ¯ ) over the units digit was used to separate the integral part of a number from its fractional part, a tradition derived from the decimal system used in Indian mathematics.[1] Its regular usage and classification can be attributed to the Iranian mathematician Al-Khwarizmi. Later, a separator (ˌ) (a short, roughly vertical, ink stroke) between the units and tenths position became the norm. When this character was typeset, it was convenient to use the existing comma (,) or period (.) instead."

Sweden, all nordic countries, heck i'd say most of europe atleast, uses decimal commas. The swedish word is also [decimal comma], although the influence of english based computers and programming languages have made people started saying [decimal point/dot] every so often.

Looking at the history i'd say the comma is clearly alot closer to the "short, roughly vertical ink stroke". 🙂

We also uses commas as separators most of the time, but with an added space of semi colon instead it's quite clear what consitutes a list.

Using comma as decimal separator has the effect that we use single quote as thousands separator.

1,000,000.00 <-> 1'000'000,00

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 36
(1,180 Views)

"Why do you Americans name a national sports league hardly noticed by other than Americans for the "World Series""

Because we can. Smiley Tongue

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 36
(1,156 Views)
Of course you can. Let that be the conclusion, and the final, well hmm period of this discussion:smileyvery-happy:

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 36
(1,150 Views)

LOL you guys are funny.

This topic of commas & decimal has popped up a few times before on this forum.

Until the world decides on one unique representation, LabVIEW should support both.  Now the question is, what happens to sw developped in the USA and shipped to Europe?

.... something to think about over the weekend ...  

While eating a 1/2 pound burger with a litre of Coke. 

Message 19 of 36
(1,134 Views)
LOL Ray.  Never thought of that.  I supose McDonalds had to rename the 1/4 pounder for sales in europe.  Sounds like mass chaos.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 36
(1,128 Views)