From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic version of labview 8.6

Hello,

I am a new labview user and I would appreciate some help with the selection of the appropiate version of Labview 8.6.

My application need to be able to do the following tasks:

1. Read the position of  thre transducers via three A/Ds sampling at 500 Khz.

2. Preform a separate PID loop calcuation on each A/D input.

3. Output a separate error value from the PID loops to three D/A outputs.

4. Need to log some system preformance data to some hard media.

5. Be able to connect to the system via the internet.

6. Display graphs and system performance values.

7. Be able create a system operator display preferably on a touch screen display.

8. Be able to drive 24 VDC relays.

My question is will the basic version of Labview 8.6 do all of this for me or do I need a more advanced version such as the Full or Professional?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,296 Views)

You're really talking about different aspects here, some of which are not dependent on the edition of LabVIEW.

• The reading of the transducers is done with DAQmx, and that will work with any of the editions. You will need appropriate DAQ hardware, of course.
  • The PID stuff can be implemented 2 ways:
    • You can try to write your own PID controller in LabVIEW - or -
    • You can buy the PID Control Toolkit.
  • Logging/connecting to the internet/displaying graphs can be done with any edition.
  • Create a GUI - any edition. The touch screen display doesn't really matter, other than the fact you'll need to make large controls so they can be manipulated with large fingers.
  • Driving relays: again, this is DAQ. You will need to have DAQ hardware.

If you are planning to distribute your code as an application then you need the Application Builder. This comes with the Professional Edition. With the others you need to buy it. The biggest difference between the Basic and Full is the ability to use event structures in the Full and the inclusion of math and signal processing functions. The event structure makes writing GUIs a LOT easier, but it's not an absolute necessity. The math and signal processing functions... well, the need for that really depends on what you're going to be doing with the data.

While the above is a rough overview, I think it may be beneficial for you to contact your local NI sales rep so they can spend some time with you and find the best solution for you. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,288 Views)

Yes, what smercuio said is correct. I do have a few follow up comments:

The data acquisition will be largely dependent on the hardware. Each piece of DAQ hardware has its own sampling rates and other specifications.

It would be good if you clarified what you mean by internet connectivity. What do you intend on doing with it? The functionality desired would be more relevant for figuring out what software you would need.

As for the touch panel question, there is the Touch Panel Module that may be relevant depending on what you're developing for.

If you just want to send digital signals or some low voltage to a relay for actuation, then yes, an appropriate DAQ board should be enough with any version of LabVIEW.

I would direct your attention to http://www.ni.com/labview/ for the overviews and http://www.ni.com/labview/how_to_buy.htm for a direct comparison of the versions. Feel free to call one of our internal sales reps and they'd be able to break it down fully for you based on your application. The number for sales is (888) 280-7645.

Jeff | LabVIEW Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,247 Views)