LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barcode Inputs parallely

Solved!
Go to solution
A delar must be someone unwilling to do a Google search.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 30
(1,030 Views)

Oops its dealer !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 30
(1,021 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
A delar must be someone unwilling to do a Google search.

May be lazy enough becasue I was the only one asking for RS232 scanner 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 30
(1,020 Views)

@nathand wrote:

Of course writing to an indicator does not require focus - an indicator displays values. I'm not sure why this is relevant here. You can read from a serial port at any time, regardless of whether the application has focus. You will have to consult the manual for your scanner to see if it supports serial port emulation. The Honeywell (formerly Handheld) scanner I used in a previous application had special barcodes to switch between keyboard emulation and serial communication. Other devices might require installing a specific driver.

Writing to an indicator when input comes from scanner(my mistake). All the scanner we have is USB,If I can emulate the USB to RS232 then also I need to use one RS232-USB extra to read because my PC doesnt have RS232. 

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 30
(1,012 Views)

@Ranjeet_Singh wrote:

Writing to an indicator when input comes from scanner(my mistake). All the scanner we have is USB,If I can emulate the USB to RS232 then also I need to use one RS232-USB extra to read because my PC doesnt have RS232. 

That is just a mish-mash of words.  An RS-232 to USB converter "extra" is not going to do anything for you.

The concept you need is this.  Even if the scanner is a USB, use one where the driver is not setup to be a keyboard type of input.  Use one whose driver installs as a Com port in Windows, just like an RS-232 scanner would connect to a serial port in the PC.  Then you can use normal VISA reads of the virtual com port that is created and work with the data that comes in as you need to programmatically

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 30
(1,000 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

That is just a mish-mash of words.  An RS-232 to USB converter "extra" is not going to do anything for you.

The concept you need is this.  Even if the scanner is a USB, use one where the driver is not setup to be a keyboard type of input.  Use one whose driver installs as a Com port in Windows, just like an RS-232 scanner would connect to a serial port in the PC.  Then you can use normal VISA reads of the virtual com port that is created and work with the data that comes in as you need to programmatically

I was thinking of other RS232-USB because now I will buy a PC with RS232 and work with it but later if I need to change the PC then I only need one PC have RS232 port and now a days that is very difficult. For time being its ok but in future it will cause problem. 

If somehow I can connect my USB scanner to read the data using VISA then I think that is only my solution becasue that needs USB only. I think what nathand said is better becasue I can read data from use USB scanner using VISA and dont need any extra hardware for that..

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 30
(997 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ranjeet_Singh

@Ranjeet_Singh wrote:

I can't figure out what you're trying to say here. Updating an indicator never requires focus, regardless of the source of the value. It seems like your question is whether you can acquire data from a serial port without focus. An application can read from a serial port even if the application's window is not active. You do not need any serial-to-USB converter. If the scanner supports that mode, it will emulate a USB-to-serial adapter. You plug it into a USB port and the driver makes it appear to be a serial port so you can read and write to it using VISA.

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 30
(981 Views)

What is the model number of that scanner? And I only need to bother about read but never write(Just saying).

I searched in honeywell but didn't found that.

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 30
(974 Views)

@Ranjeet_Singh wrote:

What is the model number of that scanner? And I only need to bother about read but never write(Just saying).

I searched in honeywell but didn't found that.

Didn't find what? Their list of barcode scanners is at http://www.honeywellaidc.com/en-US/Pages/Category.aspx?cat=HSM&category=barcode-scanners.

I haven't done an exhaustive search but I'm pretty sure that nearly all, if not all, of the USB models support serial emulation. Picking one at random, for example, here's the manual for the 7120 Orbit. Go to page 11 and you'll see "As a default, the MS7120-38 leaves the factory with USB Keyboard Emulation Mode enabled. Scan the following bar code to configure the MS7120-38 for USB Serial Emulation Mode."

Message 29 of 30
(942 Views)

I found the list of hand held scanners from haoneywell but when I went to individual scanner manual then didnt found the switching support. Thats why I asked you.

I found that support in motorolla too in the same scanner I am using here.

Thanks a lot guys for time and support.

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 30
(914 Views)