LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autorun Clone Popup

Solved!
Go to solution

Sorry to ask this question again because yesterday I thought I got it running but only for a single process.  If I click on "Run B" button, it should open up B.vi:1(clone), click on it again it will open up to B.vi:2(clone), again to B.vi:3(clone), etc...  All 3 of them should automatically run at the same times but the best I can do is a single process execution where LV needs to wait for the first clone to finish execution before I can run the second clone.  Which is really defeating the purpose of parallelism.

This method allows me to open multiple clones but won't run them at the same time:

1.jpg
While this method defeats the purpose of concurrency:

2.jpg 

So my question is how do I make all B.vi (Clones) running at the same time at a single click of a button?  

Please note that the TCP reentrant example that came with labview works only if you don't want popup.  I want to create multiple popups to the same VI so my end users can monitor what is going in the process.  So that way I have one VI to tweak if I need to upgrate somethings.

Message Edited by lavalava on 04-03-2010 03:43 PM
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,540 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lavalava

The clone you launch of vi "B" stops running when you close its reference.  Run it with debugging enabled and trace execution enabled to see for yourself.

You should wait to dispose the reference until vi "A" is done.  If you expect vi B to be running after vi A stops and goes idle, set auto-dispose True and don't close the reference.

-Barrett
CLD
Message 2 of 4
(2,523 Views)

WOW.  IT WORKS! 

Thanks

Message Edited by lavalava on 04-04-2010 12:08 AM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,519 Views)

One thing you could do is to gather the references into an array and pass that array through the loop iterations in a shift register.  In the event case or state machine case where you handle program exits gracefully, feed the array into a close reference node (they take arrays!).

But I generally wire True to auto-dispose and don't bother. Can anyone make the case that closing references like this is really necessary?  I've only ever seen people say to do it on a better-safe-than-sorry basis.

-Barrett
CLD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,499 Views)