LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask For User Input Based on Spreadsheet File

I need to ask for user input based on a column of data in a csv file that will be uploaded at the beginning of the program.  One of the columns is used to differentiate where each row of data comes from.  I can separate this column and eliminate duplicates, but I need the user to select which of these values they want before the program can continue. 

For example, the choices for the user may be A, B, C and I need the user to select which one they before the program continues to run.  However, the column of data that the user selects from does not necessarily ever have the same value or length.

Any help is appreciated!

RT

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,385 Views)

Can you provide more information? The best thing would be a VI showing what you're hoping to do, even if it's incomplete, along with an example CSV file. Are you asking for help with logic, with the user interface, with all of the above? Are A, B, and C columns in the file, or something else? Do you need to read something from the file before presenting the options to the user? It's not clear what you're hoping to do nor what sort of help you want.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,365 Views)

Sorry about being so brief...

But I guess I am looking for help with all both the logic and the user interface.  I have attached a rough example of what the file I will get will look like.  They will be sorted in order by which panel the data was taken from and I am able to create a 1D array of these labels (eliminating duplicates) so I know which panels are present.

What I need help creating is a button for each of the applicable labels so that when it is clicked, the program only sends that section of the data to the next step.  Using the attached example, I would need a button for A that would send on rows 2-6, a button for B that would send on rows 7-9, and a button for C that would send on 10-17. 

I know how to break it up into the smaller pieces but the only way that I have been able to get user input is with a string input or checkboxes.  However if the operator enters a panel label that was not used (string input) or checks more than one box, then the program will not finish correctly

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,355 Views)

Would a ring work for you? It looks like a menu, and you can set the item labels programmatically using the Strings property. That would limit the user to making a single selection from among the valid options.

Message 4 of 6
(2,350 Views)

@RT_2210 wrote:

One of the columns is used to differentiate where each row of data comes from.  I can separate this column and eliminate duplicates, but I need the user to select which of these values they want before the program can continue. 

RT

Place a ring-control and fill the Strings[]-property with the list you've created above.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 5 of 6
(2,338 Views)

Thanks a ton! Just used the ring and wait for front panel activity and it works great!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,322 Views)