cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Array not updated

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm quite new to labview. I've created a simple program that takes some inputs (start_value, stop_value and step), and creates an array with the corresponding values.

This is what I've done so far:

The problem is that the displayed array, does not show the actual values from the last run, but the ones from the previous. So I must run it twice to get the good values in the array.

Why is it happening? What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance.

Vi_array.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,174 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author angel6700

Race Condition Alarm!

Replace the local variable by a wire to get your VI working correctly!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,169 Views)

Thank you very much !!

Now, it seems it's time to learn the basics of those race conditions !

Best regards !

Angel.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,153 Views)

@angel6700 wrote:

Now, it seems it's time to learn the basics of those race conditions !

General rule of thumb: use a wire if you can.  LabVIEW can be a very highly parallel language.  You have to use wires to force data flow to set the order of operations.

Then when you get a little farther down the experience trail: A Look At Race Conditions

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 5
(2,145 Views)

OK, so you learned about race conditions. Good! 😄

So, while you are "ramping" (sic) up your learning curve, here are some alternatives that will typically give you the same result (your code is the top loop).

altenbach_0-1586963477165.png

Notes: There is a "+1" primitive. Avoid right-to-left wires. Learn about coercion dots.Look inside "ramp by delta" to see how to deal with potentially bad inputs (inf, zero, Nan, etc.). For example, a step of zero will probably run out of memory unless you protect the downstream code from it, etc.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,113 Views)