LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arduino // Can-Bus // Can-Shield MCP2515

Hello Everyone,

First I would like to introduce myself. I am Sven Mittelstaedt and a student at the University of Applied Sciences in Hamburg/Germany.

For a university project I would like to develop a CAN-BUS program on LabView with arduino uno and a can shield (MCP2515), but my current design does not work.

I used the Linx-Softwarepaket but the MCP2515 will not send the data frame.
I like to devided the .vi in a transmitter and a receiver-.vi

Sven_A380_0-1599743226822.png

Thank you for your help!

Sven

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,426 Views)

Hi Sven,

welcome on-board…

I don't think it's a good decision to use LINX to send/receive SPI frames to a shield handling CAN bus messages…

Why don't you use the Arduino IDE to write sketches for your CAN shields to Rx/Tx CAN messages (I guess there are ready-to-use libraries for that shield) and simply do the communication with your (LabVIEW) computer using the (virtual) COM port of the Arduino(s) and VISA functions in LabVIEW?

(And why do you need two while loops, one inside the other, with two stop buttons?)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,421 Views)

Hi gerdW

Well, I like to compare the different languages (Arduino IDE and Labview) for a project at the university in Hamburg/Germany.
So the task is: Compare the different program languages with an Arduino Can-bus simulation.

What do you think could be the next steps?

That is correct! The inner loop is not necessary.

Thank you for your reply,
Sven

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,404 Views)

Hi Sven,

@Sven_A380 wrote:

Hi gerdW

Well, I like to compare the different languages (Arduino IDE and Labview) for a project at the university in Hamburg/Germany.

What's the point in comparing two different IDEs aiming on two completely different hardware targets? What's the point in comparing an IDE with huge hardware support (Arduino) to LabVIEW using a 3rd party toolkit (LINX) with limited hardware support, leaving all those heavy hardware-related stuff (SPI) up to you?

That is comparing apples to pears!

In the Arduino IDE you get ready-to-use libraries to handle any CAN messages, which (I guess) hide all that SPI stuff behind the scenes.

In LabVIEW you need to install the LINX toolkit, which provides it's own Arduino runtime executable with very generic (and thus limited) hardware support: it supports the hardware of a default Arduino board, but there is next to nothing supported for additional shields.

The result of that comparison is clear even without any programming work…

@Sven_A380 wrote:

What do you think could be the next steps?

Write a paragraph about comparing the very different hardware support (regarding Arduino shields) in both IDEs.

Then step over to the next task!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,384 Views)

Hi GerdW,

I must admit that your thoughts are correct, thank you anyway.

Sven

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,353 Views)

Hello Everyone,

First I would like to introduce myself. I am abdul rahman and a student at the state polytechnic batam/indonesai. For a university project I would like to acquisitions data sensor level, that is capasitive sensor lk 3122 a CAN-BUS program on LabView with arduino uno and a can shield (MCP2515), what i did first to connect the arduino program to labvew,

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,254 Views)