From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aquire USB Joystick (Button only JS)

i have joystick with only button on it,

the device appear and working on windows (10) "Set up USB game controllers"

Screen.jpg

but dos'nt appear on the "Query Input Devices" vi....

any idea how to reach it?

LV 2015

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,415 Views)

I believe NI gets Joystick information from Windows's DirectInput functions.  On most of my PCs, DirectX returns 12-15 devices, with the "real" Joystick usually near the end of this list.  LabVIEW's Query Input Devices only returns the first 7 (or 😎 devices, so the Joystick just doesn't show up.

I've put a recommendation on the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to have NI return all of the Direct Input devices, not just the first 7-8. I've recommended this in the past, but not enough people saw this Idea and gave it a "Kudo", so it was "Declined".  If this is something you would like to see, go to this link in the Idea Exchange, read it, and if you agree that this should be done, give the idea a Kudo (and get your friends to vote, as well).

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 6
(3,408 Views)

apparently, it's local computer issue..Smiley Sad

on other computer here the Query showing the joystick...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,383 Views)

Yes, it is a local computer issue.  Depending on your hardware, and how many USB ports you have, and whether you have Bluetooth, and a bunch of other things, the Joystick might be enumerated in Direct Input slot 10, which means that LabVIEW, which returns fewer slots, won't "see" your Joystick.  I'll bet it you put it on an 8-year-old PC running Windows XP, it will show up.

As I mentioned before, this is a "feature" of LabVIEW's Joystick "enumerator" that it does not enumerate all of the ports, hence can (and does) miss the port containing the Joystick.  If you care about this issue, and want to ask NI to change it, go Kudo the Idea that I referenced.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,370 Views)

Hello, I see that this has been our problem with our computers and have kudoed your suggestion.  Question is, how to move the joystick up on the list so it can always be seen.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,171 Views)

I have no idea how to do that (it's a Microsoft "thing").  I do so wish that NI could respond to the suggestion that it support all the DirectInput devices, in which case these (and similar) problems would simply vanish.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,153 Views)