From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying changes to a control

Hi,

How do you change whats in an array of a control file so that that change applies to all  instances of that control in the main VI?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,216 Views)

Hi erabrannan,

what is "an array of a control file"?

How many "arrays of control files" are there in the main VI?

General answer: use a strict typedef to apply "style" changes to all instances of that typedefinition!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,210 Views)

You need to explain better what you are trying to do. What are you wanting to change in the control file? Perhaps you need to make the control into a strict type definition. I hope that you're not thinking that the control file holds the array data. The control file is just a type definition. If you need to share data between different areas of the program then you need to use the appropriate mechanism. Can you attach some code that shows what you are trying to do?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,205 Views)

Hi,

I have a control file with an array in it. (VI attached)

I would like to change the labels of the first column. So instead of "CH0", a different name for each row.

To be honest, I do not understand much about control files. I do not understand why it is grayed out, and why when I tried to edit the name of one row it does not change the instances in the main VI.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,194 Views)

Hi erabrannan,

@erabrannan wrote:

I would like to change the labels of the first column. So instead of "CH0", a different name for each row.

Your control typedef needs another typedef - unfortunately you forgot to attach that as well!

As I told you twice in your other thread in an array all elements share the same properties.

So which property of which array element do you want to change?

GerdW_0-1601042704201.png

There are no "labels" visible in your control!?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,175 Views)

@erabrannan wrote:

Hi,

To be honest, I do not understand much about control files. I do not understand why it is grayed out, and why when I tried to edit the name of one row it does not change the instances in the main VI.

Can you share your code so that we can see what you are trying to do? I believe that you are going about this in entirely the wrong way. Typedefs are not for passing data from one part of the program to another, as it appears that you are trying to do.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,144 Views)