LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application builder and Installation

Elijah Kerry did a real nice power point presentation on Application Builder ( Risk Associated w Source Distribution)  back in 2012.  I can't remeber what forum/group, etc I found it under.  Does anyone know if there is a similar presentation for creating an Installer??

ie:

How do I make sure I get all the files needed to port my code to a target machine?

Do I need to create the exe file 1st??  or does Installer do that for me??  What about MAX??  What about DAQ??  etc, etc.???

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,506 Views)

Usually you would create the exe using the Build Specification > New > Application (EXE) option in your project.

Then create an Installer using the Build Specification > New > Installer option.

The installer has an Additional Installers page that allows any extras like the LV run-time to be installed with your application.

Up to LV 2012 you need to know the extra options to install with your app, but (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I believe LV 2013 has automated this.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,497 Views)

Addressing specifics

An installer installs something.  Often an installer installs an executable-  You need to build the exe and target the exe with the installer.

MAX configuration support can be added to the installer.

DAQmx should be in your lvproj!

Neil is right that LabVIEW 2013 introduced an "Automatically select additional NI installers" option.  It is not "Perfect"

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,476 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Why would you say this?  I've never had DAQmx information in the project, should I be?  I perform an export in MAX, and then include that as a support file, and perform the import programatically so that if needed the channel configuration can be modified as a test system changes.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,452 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@JÞB wrote:

Why would you say this?  I've never had DAQmx information in the project, should I be?

Yes.  Tasks Scales and chanels need to be defined somewhere.  That *.xml file with a *.lvproj extension is a nice convinient place that DAQmx will look for.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,446 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Yes.  Tasks Scales and chanels need to be defined somewhere.  That *.xml file with a *.lvproj extension is a nice convinient place that DAQmx will look for.

Excuse my ignorance on the subject because I've never used it.  But is this useful for deploying DAQmx scales/Channels/Aliases?  When I build an EXE and then an installer is the DAQmx scales and channels information inside the .lvproj imported?  Or is this just useful for development?

EDIT:  It looks like it only has scales/tasks/channels not aliases.  So never mind.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,444 Views)

Hooovahh,

ALL of that DAQmx stuff can drag-n-drop from MAX to a LabVIEW Project explorer window.  Yes, it deploys with the project and any exe that uses the project.

It is really cool! try it.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,440 Views)

Hooovahh,

ALL of that DAQmx stuff can drag-n-drop from MAX to a LabVIEW Project explorer window.  Yes, it deploys with the project and any exe that uses the project.

It is really cool! try it.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,439 Views)