LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Web Server still requires IE for administration. What will happen with IE retirement?

Solved!
Go to solution

When installing Labview, Application Web Server is automatically installed (without a clear notice), that is not needed by most users. Its default port (8080) may conflict with other web applications using the same port, that can be quite confusing when one is not aware of the issue.

Unfortunately, changing the port or disabling the server requires to access port 3582 on localhost, with Internet Explorer only (it won't work with other browsers because the administration page relies on a Silverlight plugin, not supported by modern browsers including Microsoft Edge).

Besides, Microsoft announced that Internet Explorer will be retired on June 15, 2022.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/05/19/the-future-of-internet-explorer-on-windows-10...

Is there a plan from National Instruments to update the Web Server for access to modern browsers before the retirement deadline, or at least to let the user decide upon installation (e.g. with a checkbox) whether the Application Web Server should be installed or not, and with the possibility to change the default port.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,176 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author fducos

I am virtually certain that NI is aware that (a) Silverlight is going away, (b) IE is going away, and (c) several aspects of "Classical LabVIEW" depend on Silverlight/IE for Web stuff.

NI is also aware that Web applications are extremely important, going forward.  While I have not experimented with LabVIEW NXG, it is my understanding that it used some other technology to provide Web Access and Web Support to LabVIEW NXG.  As you may be aware, LabVIEW NXG is also "going away", but the Good News is some of its features are being added to Classical LabVIEW.  I would expect you'll be seeing some of these when LabVIEW 2021 debuts (in about a month, I think).

So don't panic (yet) ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,137 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

I am virtually certain that NI is aware that (a) Silverlight is going away, (b) IE is going away, and (c) several aspects of "Classical LabVIEW" depend on Silverlight/IE for Web stuff.

NI is also aware that Web applications are extremely important, going forward.  While I have not experimented with LabVIEW NXG, it is my understanding that it used some other technology to provide Web Access and Web Support to LabVIEW NXG.  As you may be aware, LabVIEW NXG is also "going away", but the Good News is some of its features are being added to Classical LabVIEW.  I would expect you'll be seeing some of these when LabVIEW 2021 debuts (in about a month, I think).

So don't panic (yet) ...

Bob Schor

I think NXG will live on in the form of the NXG Web Module.  I think.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,124 Views)

Dear Bob,

thank you for your answer. I agree with you that hopefully NI must have anticipated this issue.

Let's wait and see.

Best regards

Fabrice

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,044 Views)