From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparent Real-Time Application Crash on "Error 11"

I'm developing a "continuous monitor" based on a IC-3120 Controller and a NI 9147 cRIO Expansion Chassis. The controller manages aqcuisition of data from the expansion chassis FPGA by FIFOs. There seems to be no problems with the about 400kS/s aggregate sampling from the expansion chassis, or the analysis of it. It stabilizes on about 16% RAM usage.

But the system routinely crashes after about 9000 seconds of use (2,5 ish hours). The crash is normally preceeded by an "error code 11" in my error log, and usually pops up in a state of my file IO module which writes timer and counter data to an ini file (operation time, number of different events etc.). The ini file is updated by a subVI that receives a path, then opens the file, writes to an arbitrary number of keys in a for loop with shift registers, and closes the file after the for loop has finished.

I notice that some of my searches imply that error code 11 could also be related to TCP connections. I do not use any myself, but am unsure of what the controller does "natively" to control the expansion chassis?

Has anyone else encountered this problem and solved it?

Best regards,

Jarle Ekanger, MSc, PhD, CLD
Flow Design Bureau AS

- "The resistance of wires in LabVIEW is not dependent on their length."
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,346 Views)

Error Code 11 seems to be "Too many files open".  Look at your Block Diagram, see where you open/close files, try to see if you are "opening without closing".  The fact that it runs a few hours and crashes suggests you may be "gradually consuming memory" ...

Now, if you had attached the code (as a VI, since it is tedious, and causes eye strain, to view a picture that may or may not "show everything), we might have been able to spot the error ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,321 Views)
The code is part of a large, modularized, queued message handler application, with a large amount of in-house subVIs and a queued message API... Opening and closing files is well controlled, and event counters show that I'm not opening hundreds of files (it's exactly four).

Possible error sources are:
- unexpected effects of opening and closing ini-files frequently.
- passing references to open tdms files from one module to another, storing them in a cluster in a shift register and accessing them for regular file writes.

Best regards,

Jarle Ekanger, MSc, PhD, CLD
Flow Design Bureau AS

- "The resistance of wires in LabVIEW is not dependent on their length."
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,304 Views)