LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any simple method to detect noise level of a wave

As the attached wave, is there any simple method to detect noise level of a wave.

The sampling rate is 100M, the time duration is 20ms.

Any suggestion, thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,421 Views)

Hi alex,

"any simple method"

I would say no. It all depends on what you define as noise - others may define those spikes in your pic as noise...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 14
(3,418 Views)

As GerdW said, it depends on how you define your signals and noise.  What do you know about your signals which is different from the noise? Are the signals always larger than some threshold and the noise never reaches that threshold? Do the signals always occur at known times or frequencies?

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,395 Views)

Actually I just want to detect the base line voltage level, the signal should be some random pulse.

Can wavelet package do this?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,380 Views)

Noise is most of the time a signal with a high frequency.  A low pass filter might do the trick

But before you solve a problem like this, you should take a look at your system and question yourself where this noise is comming from.

Are you reading this signal from a DAQ card?  In which way?

Kind regards,

- Bjorn -

Have fun using LabVIEW... and if you like my answer, please pay me back in Kudo's 😉
LabVIEW 5.1 - LabVIEW 2012
Message 5 of 14
(3,373 Views)

Low pass filter may not work, need to reserve the low pass part of the pulse.

The noise come together with the signal on site. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,366 Views)

And can you tell me how you're measuring this signal?  If you're doing it with a DaqCard, you might want to think of measuring your signal differentially.  This is a lot more noise insensitive

Kind regards,

- Bjorn -

Have fun using LabVIEW... and if you like my answer, please pay me back in Kudo's 😉
Message 7 of 14
(3,364 Views)

Take your data and make a histogram of your values to get a feeling for the distributuion. Mostly a gaussians bell shape 🙂

Calc the mean and the standard deviation.  3 times the standard dev. (say an educated guess 😉 ) should be a good starting point.

or

Apply a light (5 point) median filter (filter the spikes) and look for the min/max ....

or

Get to know more about your noise and do more math ...

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 8 of 14
(3,360 Views)

The noise come along with the source of the signal together, so can only play with software to remove it.

At different site, the noise level is different, the pulse desity is also different. 😞

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,355 Views)

Try the median filter like suggested.  That might give you a better signal.  Just don't make it to big, cause you will loose you pulses you need as well

Kind regards,

- Bjorn -

Message 10 of 14
(3,353 Views)