LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any LabVIEW support for SpaceWire?

I'm wondering if there are any SpaceWire products that LabVIEW supports?  Or has anyone implemented SpaceWire with NI hardware?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,259 Views)

I searched the forums and NI websites and saw no hits for Spacewire.  So I would guess no one has really used it with LabVIEW before.

I never heard of it before so I googled it and came up with numerous weblinks.  I looked a couple, and honestly, I still don't know what this product is supposed to be.  They talked about network analyzers for "Spacewire interfaces" and routers.

Are these networking devices?  Do they use ethernet connections?  The pictures did not look like normal ethernet interfaces.  Where are these items used?  What is it you want to do with them that you want to use LabVIEW for it?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,253 Views)

Thanks for your response.

SpaceWire is a computer network designed to connect together
high data-rate sensors, processing units, memory devices and
telemetry/telecommand sub-systems onboard spacecraft. It
provides high-speed (2 to 200 Mbits/s), bi-directional, full-duplex,
data links which connect together SpaceWire enabled equipment.
Networks can be built to suit particular applications using point-to-
point data links and routing switches. Application information is
sent along a SpaceWire link in discrete packets. Control and time
information can also be sent along SpaceWire links.

My particular application is for ground-based breadboard development for a NASA experimental mission.

Ethernet solutions for the space environment are not readily available, nor always appropriate.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,246 Views)

There are Labview VIs for an older version of the 4links PCI-SpaceWire card available from JPL.  I think it's at openchannel.org.  Pretty much all the commercially available interfaces these days (from Star-Dundee, 4links, Gaisler/Aeroflex, etc.) have some form of API, which you could easily create a wrapper for in LabView.  You might try asking the vendors.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,011 Views)

including SKYLAB Industries 4SpW products... One of our client uses our API directly within LabWindows on our PCI board (the same is possible with the PCI Express and the USB smartCable4SpW).

Regards,

Stéphane Davy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,728 Views)

Hi there,

Did you get an answer to this?

I know it's been a very long time, but I happen to have module to create drivers for and wondered if you found a path to get the drivers working.

Sally

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,336 Views)

Hi Sally,

I work for STAR-Dundee and we provide a LabVIEW API that comes with a suite of VIs that can be used to interface with our range of SpaceWire test and development equipment in LabVIEW (https://www.star-dundee.com/products/star-system-for-labview). This API provides the same functionality as our standard C and C++ APIs, allowing you to configure our devices and transmit/receive data.

We also have a VISA driver (https://www.star-dundee.com/products/spacewire-labview-visa-driver). This is separate from STAR-System and operates at a much lower level but can be used for real-time applications.

If you have any questions about our products, then you are welcome to contact us (https://www.star-dundee.com/contact) and we'll be happy to help.

Best regards,
Alan

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,277 Views)