LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternate Icon Editors for LV 2013

I am trying to determine if there are any alternate Icon Editors that can be intergrated into LV 2013.  I recall a great editor that I used with 8.6 and another pretty good one that I was able to use with 2009 but from what I can find, there is nothing out there compatible with 2013.

Using the default editors, My experience is that the readability of the text has degraded over the years as NI revises the editors.  Examples here:

Actual LV 8.6 code wtih icons created with that version (Ignore broken items, old code that is missing things)

Notice that the lower case text is readable which is nice when you have longer words you are trying to get fit into a small space.  "Bellows" will not fit using Small Fonts when typed in all Caps. The first part of the B and last part of the S are cut off.

Old Icons.png

And now, some of these exact same icons re-created in LV 2013

Using the default format (small fonts) there is a definite difference in the quality of the text.  In particular, compare the "ER3000" text.  It is pretty crisp in the old version but the zeroes are narrow and fuzzy in the new one.  The word "Control" is clearly identifiable above but could be read as Control or Central below.

New Icons.png

I know icons are not supposed to be used to document the full extent of a vi but given the continuing improvements in graphics capabilities, I would expect the clarity of the icons to improve over time, not degrade.

If anyone knows of an alternate editor that I can try out in 2013, I am ready to do it.

Thanks....

Doug

"My only wish is that I am capable of learning each and every day until my last breath."
Message 1 of 3
(2,328 Views)

Are you sure it is a difference in the Icon Editor?

To me it looks like a slightly different font.  Or perhaps 1 point smaller.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,319 Views)

Everything was set as default when creating new one.  Old one was created w/ built in editor in 8.6 from a few years back.  If there is a different font I can use that would appear better in the current editor I will try it but what little I did find was that the Small Font was the only one that would provide useable results.

Doug

"My only wish is that I am capable of learning each and every day until my last breath."
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,313 Views)