LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow user defined values during run time

Hi ,

I have created a VI wherein I have 3 inputs as enums, I also want to give the user the capability to enter runtime values which are not present in the drop down for the enum , is it possible ? I see an option in the propeties of the enums as "allow user to enter undefined values during runtime" , will this serve the same purpose as I am looking for or is it something different ?

Please see the attached snapshot for the option I am referring to .

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,545 Views)

Sounds like what you really want is a ring.  Rings are different in that the items can be defined at run-time by manipulating the items property.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,537 Views)

i used a drop down combo box....

Spoiler
Example_VI.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,534 Views)

@Manreet wrote:

Hi ,

I have created a VI wherein I have 3 inputs as enums, I also want to give the user the capability to enter runtime values which are not present in the drop down for the enum , is it possible ? I see an option in the propeties of the enums as "allow user to enter undefined values during runtime" , will this serve the same purpose as I am looking for or is it something different ?

Please see the attached snapshot for the option I am referring to .

Thanks

1!.PNG

What you see is a disabled option in the items editor.  The items editor is common between Rings Comboboxs and enums.  I don't know why  the gurus and R&D decided to disable and grey the checkbox rather than hide the darn thing.  Lucky for us its not something that customers see just developers.  At least we have the ability to ask about what that is if we don't know.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,501 Views)

Thanks everyone , using a ring instead of enum solves the puzzle ..)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,474 Views)