From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent TCPIP connection with NI MAX

Hi everyone, I recentlly lost a machine running Win7 and Labview 8.6. This machine ran a large set of Labview VIs that controlled an Agilent E8362B network analyzer among other things. I interfaced with the E8362B on a private network via TCPIP0::10.248.13.1::hpib7,16::INSTR which I was able to create in NI MAX 4.3.

Now I've had to rebuild the system and I'm using a volume licensed version of Labview 2012 SP 1 (original shrink-wrapped 8.6 CD is nowhere to be found at the moment). When I enter NI-MAX 5.4 I right-click under My System->Devices and Interfaces->Network Devices and "Create New VISA TCP/IP Resource". I then click "Manual Entry of LAN Instrument" and follow it with the IP address "10.248.13.1" and the LAN Device Name "hpib7,16".

If I try to Validate I get the following error.

"The interface type is valid, but the specified interface number is not configured".

However, if instead I enter "hpib7" for the LAN Device Name it validates just fine but if I try to communicate with it I get the following error: 

"The interface associated with this session is not currently the controller in charge."

Now I've also downloaded and installed the Agilent Connection Expert 16.3. With this I am able to locate and communicate with the E8362B just fine (VISA address: TCPIP::10.248.13.1::hpib7,16::INSTR). If I then go into Tools->VISA Assistant I see that the Instrument Driver tab has "This application is using Agilent VISA which is installed as secondary VISA (side-by-side). Resources found here may not appear in the primary VISA."

I have also seen that I need to go to NI-MAX and under Tools->NI-VISA->VISA Options go into "Passports" and enable NiVisaTulip.dll - NI-VISA Passport for Tulip (32-bit only). In addition I go into the "Conflct Manager" and can see both Agilent VISA and National Instruments VISA in "Installed VISA implementations" and the "Preferred VISA" is set to National Instruments.

Despite all this I was still not able to see the driver under NI-MAX.

Could it be an issue that I'm running Win7 64-bit and the NiVisaTulip.dll is 32-bit only? I'm clutching at straws and any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I really want to be able to get NI-MAX to recognize this instrument over TCPIP. Thanks in advance!!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,305 Views)

Geepers,

Were you using Windows 7 64 bit prior to your rebuild?  I doubt this is the source of the problem but we might be able to eliminate it as a possible source.

you may want to try monitorying the port over which you are comunicating.  

Another thought may be to try downgrading visa or max to the lowest version that is supported by LabVIEW 2012.  Maybe compatability issues between the device and version of VISA you are using?  

I never like to advocate moving backward in software version but if you an active service contract with NI you could get 8.6 again.....  

Im not sure if any of that is helpful but some of it might be worthwhile.  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,182 Views)