LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent/Keysight 33250A using GPIB to USB converter

Hello all,

my question aims at the usage of the Keysight (former Agilent) 33250A frequency generator with a GPIB to USB converter "between" device and pc. I can use the NI-MAX VISA testpanel to write a simple command like "FREQ 3" to the device. This works w-o a problem as well as with the I/O-suite of Keysight which is necessary referring to the following application note:
http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5990-3731EN.pdf
When using a VI with the simple commands "VISA open" , "VISA WRITE", "VISA CLOSE" I get the following error message:
VISA Open in FG-33250-set_frequency.vi
The program as well screenshots of the NI-MAX, the Keysight I/O-suite (showing device is connected and works) and the trace (line 6-26: command given from NI-MAX, line 1-5: testing GPIB-adresses, line 27,28: testing given alias) are attached.

I got nearly the same problem a month ago with Labview '17 running. Two weeks later I installed Labview '18. Yesterday I checked my main program and got the error as described above. Support from Agilent said it might be a installation problem. So Labview completely deinstalled and installed only Labview'18 with the concerning VISA-palette and the Keysight I/O-suite in the right order.

Thanks in advance for solutions!
Tom

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,097 Views)

@tombat585 wrote:

Hello all,

When using a VI with the simple commands "VISA open" , "VISA WRITE", "VISA CLOSE" I get the following error message:
VISA Open in FG-33250-set_frequency.vi
The program as well screenshots of the NI-MAX, the Keysight I/O-suite (showing device is connected and works) and the trace (line 6-26: command given from NI-MAX, line 1-5: testing GPIB-adresses, line 27,28: testing given alias) are attached.

What is the error message you get? I think you left it out.

Based on the MAX screenshot, it looks like you might be missing some drivers for the GPIB adapter.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,079 Views)

Hello grogoryj,

thanks for the reply.
Driver for the adapter is not the problem. Error message is right.
Error code is the following:

regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,073 Views)

Ok, did you try using this article to troubleshoot yet?

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P9IASA0&l=en-US

I am using LV 2016, so if you do "file >> save for previous version..." I can take a look at the VI

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,056 Views)

For Agilent/Keysight USB-GPIB you need to make sure the NI-VISA Passport for TULIP is enabled (it is disabled by default)

Open NI MAX

Navigate to Tools---->NI VISA---->VISA Options

Select Passports from the tree

Check the box to enable NiVisaTulip.dll -- NI-VISA Passport fo Tulip

tlipCapture.PNG

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,018 Views)