From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent E5810A Com Port and NI MAX

Hi All,

I'm having an issue with connecting to the COM port on my Agilent E5810 ever since i upgraded to Windows 7 and also upgraded my version of NI MAX and NI VISA.

On my old Windows XP machine i could access the com port through NI MAX by entering the IP address and Lan Device Name (Com1,488)

However when i do this in the newer version of NI MAX and VISA I get an insufficient location error.

When I use NI I/O trace it seems that last value is always 0 on the new system but the old system has what seems to be an address

The gpib connection works fine with both the old and new systems.

I still have the setup on my old laptop so i took two images showing the old and new systems for comparison.

I also am aware of the issues with TCPIP on recent releases on NI VISA but my release is newer than 5.4.1 so I assume this issue should be fixed.

I have also enabled Tulip in NI VISA

I have tested this using NI VISA 14.1 and NI VISA Runtime 14.1 but i get the same issue.

Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Thansk,

Pamac

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,473 Views)
You are trying to connect to a com port on a remote pc?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,450 Views)

Sorry Dennis could have explained it a little better.

I'm using an Agilent LAN to GPIB gateway (Agilent E5810, (same issue on A or B models)), it also has a com port which I use in some of my programs. 

See attached for the list of equipment connected to the gateway (equipment_connected_to_gateway.png)

When connecting a GPIB i have no issues as shown in the attached image (connecting_gpib_equipment.png)

Since the upgrading LabVIEW i get the issue shown in the attached image when trying to connect to the COM port (connecting_com_port_equipment.png)

Hope this makes more sense.

Thanks,

Pamac

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,424 Views)
Thanks. I did not pick up your mention of a 5810 in your first post or understand what it was. I have no experience with that and readily have no suggestions, sorry.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,406 Views)

No problem Dennis.

Anyone any input on this?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,390 Views)

Seems to me like this could be an issue with the newer version of NI VISA or NI MAX.

Hass anyone else seen this type of issue?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,341 Views)

Hi,

same issue here. Does anybody have a solution?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,460 Views)