LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent 8510C Analyzer Driver

I have found Agilent 8510C Analyzer Plug and Play Instrument Driver here:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=014FBB25CCD5270DE0440003BA7CCD...

but I am completely missing instructions how to use it with the analyser. The analyser is quite old and even does not mention Labview in its manual. Bu the driver exists. When I connect the analyser through GRIB and try to use examples from the instrument folder, it does not connect. I assume, there might be some issues with port number or something, but I don't know which instructions to follow. Can someone help me with that?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,976 Views)

The Hp 8510C is an old beast!  But it does work with the driver once you have everything setup correctly.  For reference the manual is here - http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/08510-90281.pdf

• First you need to make sure your GPIB (USB-GPIB-HS or PCI card) is installed properly.  
  • You need NI 488.2 and NI VISA installed.  (You probably did this when you installed LabVIEW)  
  • Next use NI-MAX to make sure you can identify the HP8510C on the GPIB bus.  If this doesn't work, you'll need to go through the manual about how to enable GPIB communications.
  • Then use the address found in NI Max for the 8510C with the LabVIEW driver examples.

In order to help you further it would be good to know..

- What kind and brand of GPIB interface you are using.

- PC OS, LabVIEW version, NI VISA, NI 488.2 versions

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,954 Views)

Thank you very much for your answer. At least, I can see in which direction I should go. I use PROLOGIX GRIB-USB controller to connect 8510C to PC (Windows 10, Labview 14, NI-VISA 17.5, NI 488.2 17.6).

I can see ASRL3::INSTT "COM3" under Devices and Interfaces in MAX. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,939 Views)

It looks like NI-MAX can not identify the HP8510C on the GPIB bus. I used the native software for the GRIB adapter called Prologix GRIB Configurator. After sending a propper command, HP8510C could identify itself in that program. But I have to enable GRIB communication with Labvie now.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,938 Views)

That's a really messy setup to get working correctly!

You LabVIEW version should match your driver versions.  (Version 14.x for all)  Newer drivers might not work with older LabVIEW.  Ni can comment on that.

You should search this board for issues with LabVIEW and Prologix. I seem to recall that hardware has issues with LabVIEW drivers, but someone had a solution.

Good luck.

Craig

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,934 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,919 Views)