From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding parameters to shortcuts in labview installer

I see that the installer lets me create shortcuts, however, I would like to be able to add parameters to the shortcuts. I tired using a batch file, but then the black window appears, I tried using a preexisting link but that did not work either. Is there a way to add a parameter to the shortcut? 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(3,729 Views)
I also need to know how to add a shortcut to a folder.
Message Edited by Steve Block on 11-11-2008 04:16 PM
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(3,728 Views)

Hello Steve,

What kind of functionality are you trying to achieve with the shortcut parameters?  Does this functionality affect how the VI will be run when clicked on?

Please also reply with the version of LabVIEW you are using and the type of operating systems you will be deploying on.

Regards,

George T.
Senior Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK and Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(3,703 Views)
I'm using Labview 8.5. These shortcuts are not Vis. One is a data folder. The other is a teststand operator interface which I want to default to open a specific sequence file when called.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(3,700 Views)

Hello Steve,

I am afraid I might be interpreting your posts incorrectly.  In detail, please describe the process you have in mind to when installing, as well as the desired result on the target machine.  In your first post you described using the LabVIEW installer.  Does that mean that you are building an application with TestStand and LabVIEW for deployment?  Or are describing installing from the original discs?  Will the specific shortcut paths lead to files already on the machine, or will they be in the installation procedure?

I will appreciate the details you reply back with, as I do not want to propose a solution that will not work for you.

Regards,

George T.
Senior Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK and Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(3,678 Views)
   I'm using teststand with Labview vis. I'm using the labview deployment instead of the teststand deployment, because I have a whole bunch of labview vis and only one sequence file. I had looked into using the teststand deployment engine, but it didn't handle vi dependencies the way I liked and wasn't as user friendly.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(3,675 Views)

I took another look and the .tsw teststand workspace does not let me view paths the way that the labview and cvi projects do and dates the way the cvi project does. Is there a way to turn this on for the workspace window? Does labview have a way of turning the dates on? It's useful in CVI to detect and repair missing files. Also, can the teststand workspace do a mass compile like labview can? If I can use the teststand workspace with the same amount of control I'll look into using it's deployment engine for future projects. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(3,670 Views)

Steve,

I've been monitoring this thread as well, and I am still unclear as to what your overall application is.  If this is more of a question about how to use TestStand, then I suggest posting to the TestStand forum.  If not, please post back with a broad level overview of the tasks you are looking to accomplish.  Thanks, I look forward to hearing your response. 

Sincerely,

Chris G in AE
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(3,633 Views)

Hi Steve,

I don't know if it will help, but you can have the installer copy .bat files to the target - of course .bat files can do almost anything.  Shortcuts can point to .bat files and it's also possible to have the installer copy an "internet shortcut" to the target station (Internet shortcuts have the "look and feel" of normal shortcuts.)  Attached is a .txt file.  Place it anywhere and rename it .url.  Once renamed .url, it's harder to edit - I usually open a DOS window and use EDIT.

Note: this example assumes C:\Windows\Notepad.exe is a valid path to notepad.Smiley Wink

Cheers! 

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(3,622 Views)

This thread is kind of old. But my question is along the same lines as the first post.

Can you create a shortcut in labview installer that when installed on the desktop it will include arguments in the link?

I want to have the installer place a shortcut to a tftp server app. It requires a path as a argument. I would like the shortcut to run "c:\<apppath>\tftp.exe p /dc:\tftp"

I tried the shortcut.url trick from tdb and that worked for running tftp server. But i tried to figure out how to include the p /dc:\tftp argument with no luck.

Any ideas out there? tricks? hacks? I'm headed to idea exchange to post my labview shortcut parameters idea.

-Corey

- A minute saved is a Minute earned!
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(3,018 Views)