cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add new device from networked computer

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I have been using Veristand for the last couple of months with the following configuration:

MAX_overview.PNG

All listed devices on my remote Computer (HiL-Target) work fine.

Now I would like to create some .vi with Labview so I could read/write signals on my PXI-851x.

My Problem is the following:

When I add my remote Computer to my Labview Project, Labview only finds the FPGA:Labview_add_device.PNG

Any Idea why the PXI-851x don't appear in this list?

I have NI-DAQmx and NI-XNET Drivers installed (otherwise it wouldn't work with Veristand I guess).

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,673 Views)

Hi!

can you try it that way?

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Community-Documents/How-to-Add-a-Real-Time-Target-to-a-LabVIEW-Project/ta-p...

Best regards,

Christoph

Staff Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD), Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer (CLED)

Don't forget Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark a solution if your problem is solved
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,606 Views)

Hi Christoph and thank you for your answer!

I had already found the document you linked and unfortunately I can't make it through step 3.

Step1: I see all my devices in MAX -> OK

Step2: I can add my target Computer in my Labview Project  -> OK

Step3: Labview finds the FPGA on the target Computer (so I'm sure the IP-Address is alright) but no PXI-851x -> NOT OK

I'm using a 32bits Version of Labview on a 64bits Computer... not sure if this could have anything to do with my Problem.

I'm open to any suggestions!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,603 Views)

Hi!

now I believe I understand the problem:
LabVIEW will not show the XNET hardware in your LabVIEW project, because there is no need for showing it (same applies to DAQmx HW). The only reason why the FPGA target shows there is because you can directly program the FPGA of the FPGA target.

Just use the DAQmx or XNET driver API VIs and access the DAQmx channels or the XNET ports (e.g. CAN1) in your code. You do not have to see the card in the LV project, thats expected behaviour.

Best regards,

Christoph

National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD), Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer (CLED)

Don't forget Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark a solution if your problem is solved
Message 4 of 9
(3,598 Views)
Thank you very much! I will look into that.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,593 Views)

Hi!

This might be a silly question but how exactly do you "access [...] the XNET ports (e.g. CAN1) in your code"?

I stumbled upon this Introduction to the NI-XNET API:

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/12375/en/

But here again I have Trouble finding my PXI-851x...

The article says "To get started, open a new LabVIEW project, right-click My Computer, and select New»NI-XNET Session. In the resulting dialog, the window on the left provides an introduction to the NI-XNET session in the LabVIEW project. The introduction links to help topics that describe how to create a session in the project, including a description of the session modes"

When I do as instructed, no Interface is found:

NI-Xnet Session.PNG

And when I try to right-click on my Target Computer (which is connected to the PXI-851x) in the Labview Project window, the Option New»NI-XNET Session isn't available.

Am I missing something obvious?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,562 Views)

Hi,

I created a small step-by-step tutorial:

1. Go to the example finder and select a suitble example. If you are new to this probably start at the Frame Sessions or Signal Sessions:

step1.PNG

2. Copy the selected example VI to your project

3. Add the example below your PXI real-time system:

step2.PNG

4. Open the example and select your CAN port from the drop down. Your PXI system has to be connected (right-click the PXI target in the LabVIEW project and select "Connect" (the LED should turn from dark to bright green in the project)

step3.png

Best regards,
Christoph

National Instruments

Message 7 of 9
(3,535 Views)

Hello and thank you for your answer.

I am still stuck with my Problem.

I found the example you mentionned and was able to open it.

I still can't add a PXI RT System like you did in step 3.

In my case the PXI is behind a remote Computer (see the first screenshot of my first post).

But when I add the example VI below my remote target, it can't find any CAN channel in the drop-down list.

I would try to add an "RT PXI Target" like you did but this Option is not offered to me.

So maybe something is wrong with my XNET Driver? (Everything is fine under MAX and Veristand though)

I checked VISA and my Firewall Settings and everything seems fine there.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,509 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tranbi

Hi,

after having struggled for while I found the solution to my Problem.

First I had to install Labview Real-Time Module on my host Computer.

Then I was able to add a "Real-Time Desktop" to my Labview Project:

RT_Desktop.PNG

After That I had to right click on the added RT-Desktop and select "Connect".

Only then was I able to find my CAN Interfaces under "New>>NI-XNET Session".

Hope it might help other People with the same Problem!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,484 Views)