From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add device to MAX without device

Is it possible to add a cDAQ and its corresponding cards to MAX without the device itself and have the device be recognized when it's plugged in? We have a customer that is distributing potentially hundreds of systems. Each time they build one, I want the installer to put a MAX config on the machine with the cDAQ in it. I already know how to do this, but what I don't know is will MAX be smart enough to have the cDAQ be recognized even though it's a different cDAQ than the one that the MAX config was exported with.

It's going to be a real pain if my customer has to remember to rename the cDAQ and each card in MAX for every system they create.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,985 Views)

If you use NI-MAX to export a config file for one example of the correct setup, you can load the file and if you look in it you'll see that some of the information in the generated *.nce file is in plaintext:

[DAQmxDevice USB-6361]
ProductType = USB-6361
DevSerialNum = 0x1773A5C
ProductNum = 0x74FD
BusType = USB

You could maybe create a program that replaces all serial numbers with the serial numbers found on the system (i.e. scan the bus), and then imports the file?  Then add it as a "run executable at end of installation" option on the build of the installer?

Message 2 of 4
(1,977 Views)

@Kyle97330 wrote:

If you use NI-MAX to export a config file for one example of the correct setup, you can load the file and if you look in it you'll see that some of the information in the generated *.nce file is in plaintext:

[DAQmxDevice USB-6361]
ProductType = USB-6361
DevSerialNum = 0x1773A5C
ProductNum = 0x74FD
BusType = USB

You could maybe create a program that replaces all serial numbers with the serial numbers found on the system (i.e. scan the bus), and then imports the file?  Then add it as a "run executable at end of installation" option on the build of the installer?

Not a bad idea. As long as I can automate it we're good. I just don't want anyone to have to manually update it. I'd prefer to say either a) run the installer with the device plugged in or b) double this manually after the installer with the device plugged in.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,959 Views)

I've tried to stop using MAX for anything related to identification or configuration of hardware.  I have been burned too many times by lack of recognition or a user (or even me) changing a configuration.

I have starting using the DAQmx property nodes to find hardware and configure.  That way I know I am in control of it.

DAQmx Systems has the Devices property which will spit back all the devices in the system.  From those devices, you can get all the other information you need.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,940 Views)