From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actor Framework: LabVIEW disappears after launch

Dear community, I am dealing with a really interesting problem.

Using:

LabVIEW version 2016 Pro Dev

Actor Framework

Test 1:

Opened a separate library with 1 test actor. Launch it, no crash, works fine.

Test2:

Opened a LabVIEW project with more actors in it, but still when I launch the same testing actor as previously, LabVIEW just disappears in the point where opening VI reference of the actor.

Between the test actor launcher and the rest of the code, there is just one common stuff, they are using Actor Framework lib.

Even if some actor will be broken, that should not influence the Test actor launcher itself.

Other info:

- the actor framework library was not changed

- tested on 2 PC, same problem

Possible issues:

- some AF overridden method's property was changed? (reetrancy, etc) -> checked, but seems ok

- some VI is broken? -> checked when opened project, no

I know, it can be hard to help, but maybe somebody met with this problem.

Thank you!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,186 Views)

Not clear what exactly you mean by LabVIEW disappears. Can you share the code of that actor?

Lucian
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,135 Views)

Can you check and see if LabVIEW generated a crash report?

If there was one made, you'll find it here:

<Your user documents folder>\LabVIEW Data\LVInternalReports\LabVIEW\<Your LabVIEW version number>\

Sort by the date of the folder creation to see if you see one time a timestamp matching one of your recent attempts.  Sometimes it's empty or only contains .DMP files, but if you can find anything with TXT file (possibly inside of ZIP files) then those can sometimes point towards the culprit.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,109 Views)

Hi Lucian, thanks for the question.

LabVIEW disappears = application is doing something in one second and in the next there is no evidence of its running. No process in Task Manager, no Service, no crash reporting

The code for the "Test actor" is simple as shown in the attached picture "System launcher.png", the significant code is before the Case Structure, because the issue happens inside the "Actor Framework.lvlib:Actor.lvclass:Launch Actor Core.vi" as shown in the picture "LV Crash.png".

While debugging, it is doing something 1-2 seconds in this function "Open VI Reference" and then LabVIEW disappears.

Unfortunately I cannot provide you the whole actors structure where the issue comes up, but attached you can find example of usage in project.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,090 Views)

Hello Kyle97330, thanks also.

there is no crash report, just *.dmp files (no zip, no txt). Seems to me that the crash reporter also crashed while creating report ?!?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,087 Views)

I have found project version with this problem and version without it, but there are lots of changes, so the investigation will take a while.

// I got a feeling that some actors property was changed (reetrancy, dependency, hidden conflict, etc) and LabVIEW V16 cannot handle it.

Once it happened the same issue, I have changed one global variable, but in one VI this GV was not refreshed (changed name to longer and data type also).

Also the name of the GV was incomplete when used (for example GV name was "VariableName", but in the constant was shown just partially this name like "VariableNa", now I miss that screenshot), LabVIEW did not found it as error and while creating build it crashed without reporting.

But in today's issue the GV was not changed.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,080 Views)