LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ActiveX element kills labview

hello,

I have the problem that I have upgraded from LV 7 to LV 8 and after I cannot put any ActiveX element into a VI. The problem appears only on my laptop (Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook C-Series) which I want to use in the lab to test and run my application.

If I open a VI with an ActiveX element I get the message in the container "could not be loaded" and if I want to insert a new ActiveX element working on the laptop LabView crashes totally. LV disappears and a window pops up to ask if a bug report should be sent to MicroSoft.

It doesn't matter which ActiveX element I try to load. Each results in a total crash of LabView. All works fine on my office PC. But I cannot carry my office PC to the lab and I cannot do all the developing in the office. I have to go and work partially in the lab.

I tried to ask the phone hot line and received two dlls (nicont.dll and nicontdt.dll) to exchange but without any success.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,514 Views)
Hi,

Have you registered the two dll's? (Use window's Start>Run..>regsvr32 "path to the dll's". You can drop the files from explorer to the run window.) Sometimes registration is needed.

Also, I have experienced the same problem on "clean" PC's, that is pc's without much MS software, esp. Laptops. Installing (and de-installing) Word seems to help sometimes.

On my "clean" laptop, I have the same problem with most AX components, but the Microsoft Web Browser does work (but e.g. the MS Tree Control doesn't).

Did it work properly before you installed LV8?

If you find a solution, please share it.

Regards,

Wiebe.

"JHAtlas" <x@no.email> wrote in message news:1142934098779-340990@exchange.ni.com...
hello,
&nbsp;
I have the problem that I have upgraded from LV 7 to LV 8 and after I cannot put any ActiveX element into a VI. The problem appears only on my laptop (Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook C-Series) which I want to use in the lab to test and run my application.
&nbsp;
If I open a VI with an ActiveX element I get the message in the container "could not be loaded" and if I want to insert a new ActiveX element working on the laptop LabView crashes totally. LV disappears and a window pops up to ask if a bug report should be sent to MicroSoft.
&nbsp;
It doesn't matter which ActiveX element I try to load. Each results in a total crash of LabView. All works fine on my office PC. But I cannot carry my office PC to the lab and I cannot do all the developing in the office. I have to go and work partially in the lab.
&nbsp;
I tried to ask the phone hot line and received two dlls (nicont.dll and nicontdt.dll) to exchange but without any success.
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
Message 2 of 10
(4,508 Views)

Wiebe:

the problem appeared after the upgrade and it was working fine before. Shortly after the upgrade I tried it again under LV7 and it still worked. One day after it changed and it is not working anymore, nor on LV7 neither on LV8.

The ActiveX Object I have to include is properly registered.  Now I can choose any AX I want. None can be included in a blank VI.

I will follow your hint to uninstall MSWord. I hope it helps.

wiebe@CARYA wrote:
Hi,

Have you registered the two dll's? (Use window's Start>Run..>regsvr32 "path to the dll's". You can drop the files from explorer to the run window.) Sometimes registration is needed.

Also, I have experienced the same problem on "clean" PC's, that is pc's without much MS software, esp. Laptops. Installing (and de-installing) Word seems to help sometimes.

On my "clean" laptop, I have the same problem with most AX components, but the Microsoft Web Browser does work (but e.g. the MS Tree Control doesn't).

Did it work properly before you installed LV8?

If you find a solution, please share it.

Regards,

Wiebe.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,495 Views)
Hi,

perhaps try to change the two dlls which are attached in the zip-file with yours in:

C:\Programme\National Instruments\Shared

Please hold up a copy of the original dll´s!

This may be the reason, and I heard this before in an Service Request, but I got no answer from the customer that it is working.

Please respond if this helps as a workaround.

Good Luck.

Alex
NI Switzerland
Message 4 of 10
(4,484 Views)

Hi Alex,

maybe that costumer you heard about was me

I already recieved that DLLs from Ken Tobler, NI on Feb 13th. I tried but had no success. LV is still crashing.

I sent an answer to Ken Tobler that it is still not working but got no answer. That is the reason why I tried the discussion forum.

I also provided some printout from the window debugger showing the address where LV has its access violation. I am not shure if this is a help. I will attach the printout here. It doesn't matter which ActiveX (in the example it was the Adobe Reader7) object I try to insert. Each crashes at the same address with the same error, namely access violation. As I understand right, the dieing subroutine is "AxWaitForEventFromMult".

Regards

JH

Message 5 of 10
(4,472 Views)
Hello!!

It could be a problem of the MDAC (Microsoft Data Access) which is installed on your Windows machines. It could possibly be corrupted so that now you cannot load ActiveX Components (in this case in LabVIEW).

MDAC gives the ActiveX Data Object (ADO) the possibility to exchange Data.

Check if you have the new MDAC Version (MDAC 2.8.1). You can check it under
Start -> Run -> regedit -> OK
Check under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> DataAccess -> Version.

If not, the install the newer version of MDAC, hier the download page (for 2.8):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&DisplayLang=en

Hier for the SP1 (Upgrade to Ver. 2.8.1):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=78CAC895-EFC2-4F8E-A9E0-3A1AFBD5922E&displaylang=en

If you already have this Version on the PC, try a reparation of this component. Go to C:\Windows\inf\mdac.inf, right click on the maus and the select Install.
When it will ask your for Files, select C:\Windows\servicepackfiles\i386.
At the end it will ask you for handler.reg. Go to the directory C:\Programs\Common Files\System\msadc

I hope it will work

Best regards
Ken

Message 6 of 10
(4,462 Views)

hello,

kenT wrote:

Check if you have the new MDAC Version (MDAC 2.8.1). You can check it under
Start -> Run -> regedit -> OK
Check under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> DataAccess -> Version.

The key "Version" was 2.0.0.0 and the key "FullInstallVer" was 2.81.1117.0

KenT wrote:

If not, the install the newer version of MDAC, hier the download page (for 2.8):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&Displa...

Hier for the SP1 (Upgrade to Ver. 2.8.1):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=78CAC895-EFC2-4F8E-A9E0-3A1AFBD5922E&displa...

I downloaded both and was not able to install any of them. The message was in all cases, that the OS is not supported. On the web page of microsoft the given OSs include WinXP and I have WinXP SP2.

KenT wrote:

If you already have this Version on the PC, try a reparation of this component. Go to C:\Windows\inf\mdac.inf, right click on the maus and the select Install.
When it will ask your for Files, select C:\Windows\servicepackfiles\i386.
At the end it will ask you for handler.reg. Go to the directory C:\Programs\Common Files\System\msadc

I tried a repair as described by you. I have not a folder named c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386. I gave c:\windows\i386\

I was not asked for handler.reg

I hope it will work

The keys are now both 2.81.1117.0 but the problems are still present.

As the installation process was not like you mentioned I am not shure if all is right with my MDAC. On the page of microsoft there is also a component checker for download. I installed it and checked my MDAC with the setting MDAC 2.8 SP1 on Windows XP SP2.

The mismatch field gives "None" on every field except of the last one. In the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MASCHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MSDADC is expected  "Microsoft Data Link" and it is found

"Microsoft OLE DB Data Conversion Library"

Any hint or glue?

JH

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,455 Views)

OK a new day,

I tried it once again to renew my MDAC installation. There is no difference.

The Microsoft Component Checker gives no mismatch between the installed and the expected version. The difference in the registry key is not as I mentioned before, because I took the wrong key. The difference is only due to german version instead of english version ("Data Link" and "Datenübermittlung")

I think my MDAC is OK

What next??

If there is no new idea to check I think I have to make tabula rasa and to type format c:

JH

By the way, I asked if my post was a clue not a glue ! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,440 Views)

hi,

since I could not wait any longer I decided to erase all.  I have repartitioned the HD, have installed WinXP SP2, have installed all updates and then Labview 8.

After that I tried and LV was working fine. I can load any ActiveX-object I want. The next goal was the installation of the rest step by step, checking LV after each.

Now all necessary software (including MSOffice) is installed and LV is still working.

I hope this will be stable for a long time

Thanks for the support

JH

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,422 Views)
This problem also happens on my laptop...

Someone has a working solution? I tried everything what is written above... I don't want to reinstall LabVIEW or my whole computer :s
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,255 Views)