LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acquiring Spectral Waveform and Image on a Raspberry PI (Problem with Vision Module)

Hello, first let me tell you about the equipments I'm using::

Computer:

-Desktop PC with Windows 7 64-bit

- Labview 2015 (32-bit) with Vision Acquisition 

- Labview 2014 (32-bit) with Vision Acquisition

- LabVIEW 2014 Real Time Module

- LINX 3.0

- Webcam Logitech C270

- Spectrometer Ocean Optics USB2000+ 

Raspberry:

-Pi 3 Model B

For the last year I have been developing a VI that acquires two Images from 2 separate WebCams and a Spectrogram from the Ocean Optics Spectrometer every 5 minutes.

Recently what I've been trying to do is deploy this VI on a Raspberry Pi 3 as a Stand-Alone application, but I've encountered a problem regarding the Vision Acquisition Modules I use in it and that have no compatibility with the Raspberry Pi. This means I have a problem with the Image Acquisition but not so much with the Spectral Data Acquisition.

In another topic somebody explained to me that in order to acquire images on Raspberry using Labview I would have to create myself a shared library between OpenCV and Labview and then call these functions on my VI, which seemed a bit hard for me. (1) Do you know where I could learn more about that? Or where could I search for a similar code that fulfills my needs?

(2) Do you think it could be a simpler choice to abandon Labview altogether for this Raspberry Application and doing it all on Python Code?

(3) Is there a way I can run the VI for Spectral Data Acquisition and the Python Code for Image Acquisition simutaneously and kind of sincronized? (not much precision needed)

(4) Do you have any other suggestion on how to approach this situation?

I do not have much experience with Python coding, but am eager to learn. I just want to find a way of succeeding after all the hard work I might have to do..

Thanks in advance, I'm desperate for help !

Oscar

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,669 Views)

Hello Liepo:

Here goes some tips on OpenCV and LabVIEW integration:

Developing Vision Applications using OpenCV and NI Vision - National Instruments
https://www.ni.com/en/support/documentation/supplemental/16/developing-vision-applications-using-ope...

Using OpenCV library in LabVIEW - Discussion Forums - National Instruments
https://forums.ni.com/t5/Machine-Vision/Using-OpenCV-library-in-LabVIEW/td-p/648429

NI Vision OpenCV Utilities - National Instruments
https://www.ni.com/en/support/downloads/tools-network/download.vision-opencv-utilities.html

We may not tell anything about your decision to use Python or any other language that is not NI. What we may tell is that it is not simple to use NI vision without Windows. About the synchronization, you may just make one of the software generate a flag and the other one wait for this flag. A suggestion that may work is install Windows embedded in your Raspberry, than you may just do an .exe for that.

I hope that information help you.

Regards,

Daniel Maretti
Engenharia de Aplicações
National Instruments Brazil

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,565 Views)