From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing the value or Status LED of sbRIO-9636

How can I access the Status LED value in a VI's front panel? I am using sbRIO-9636 and want to read the value of Status LED. I am able to read the value of User1 LED and UserFPGA1 LED but i am interested in reading the value of Status LED. How can I do it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,103 Views)

Hello Akhtar_hanif,

You cannot programmatically access the value of the status light for RIO's.  This is because it is there to warn about possible errors and problems occuring with the device and is reserved.  Also if you were to read the value programmatically, it would only ever give you OFF because if your code was running and you were connected then the status light would return no errors and thus be off.

Aaron L.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,017 Views)
Thanks Aaron, I know that it'll be constantly OFF but I still need to display it on the Front Panel. And please note that I don't want to change the status of the Status LED, I just want to read it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,005 Views)

If you know it'll always be off, put any boolean LED on your Front Panel and wire in a false constant.  It'll have the same functionality.

Message 4 of 6
(2,983 Views)

I want to see the actual status. I have multiple devices connected to my host and I want to check if all the devices are working fine or not. That can only be done by reading the status LED of each device. Wiring a FALSE to an LED Indicator will fail if the device is not working properly and its Status LED is ON.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,956 Views)

What you're looking for doesn't really make sense.  You need to take some time to think about what you're asking.

The behavior of the status LED is found on page 47 of the manual here: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373378d.pdf

During normal operation, the light is off.

2 flashes - software installation required

3 flashes - safe mode (code isn't running.  this is a diagnostic setup state)

4 flashes - device is crashing

continuous flash/solid - unrecoverable error

In none of these states is code actually running on the device.  You're asking for a way to read values from code that isn't running.  It's like asking a car that isn't on to accelerate when you hit the gas pedal.  It simply doesn't make sense.

You're looking for a way to see when the devices are running and when they're not.  THAT is what you need.  That is not equivalent to needing to see the status light.  Stop focusing on something that won't help your solution and start looking towards something productive.  If you continue to focus on this status light, you'll never be successful.

You'll have a better chance to achieve your goal by looking through the System Config VIs: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/373107E-01/nisyscfg/find/  I'd have to play around with them myself to figure out where the status of a device would be.  It might be as easy as using "Find Systems" twice.  Run it once with "detect online systems" false and it should omit the devices that are in safe mode.  If you go through that returned array, you can parse the data to turn your LEDs off/on.  It doesn't sound like you care which of the status flashes you're seeing as long as you know it's offline.  That should be sufficient to turn the LED on or off.

Message 6 of 6
(2,951 Views)