LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About.vi issue in Labview 2012

I am converting an exe from LabVIEW 8.5 to 2012.  There is an "About xxxx.vi" inside the exe.  When I run the 2012 exe, I click help and about, I saw that my "About xxxx.vi" executed, but it errored out.  I think it was trying to find a subvi used inside the "About xxxx.vi".  

I tried to debug the exe, but when I do that, the default about window will come up.  I am guessing that LabVIEW would only let you use a custom about vi when you are running an exe without debug turned on.  

Comment?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,339 Views)

build options.pngHi

Hi jyang72211

Have you tried the use LabVIEW 8.x file layour option on your build spec? (see attached image)

Regards,

Steve

Message 2 of 14
(3,328 Views)

I am using the 8.x layout now.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,310 Views)

I meant I have been using 8.x layout.  That's not the cause.  Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,309 Views)

You said it errored out.  What's the error?

If you enable debug mode in an executable, it leaves all block diagrams in place.  I have had an issue in the past where an Express VI was in a VI.  It would only work if the diagram was kept in the EXE.  So, when I debugged my EXE, everything worked fine.

What happend in your About dialog?

Message 5 of 14
(3,305 Views)

This error only happened when I run the exe in non-debug mode.  After I click help and about, the about.vi will appear on the right.  As the vi tries to call its subvi to center the front panel on the monitor, a dialog log will pop up to search for the subvi (looks to be the correct location).  Another dialog will pop up to say that an error has occured and I need to debug in development mode.  Since the about.vi is a special vi that is called in LabVIEW internally, I am not sure how to debug this.  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,284 Views)

It does sound very odd. Have you tried mass compiling your project before building it?  - press <Ctrl-Shift> and click the run button on your main vi

Message 7 of 14
(3,278 Views)

Yes, I did mass compile.  

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,274 Views)

I'm assuming you can't post the code...?

What I would probably do is pull the area of code which is causing the problem into a new vi, build that and see if it behaves the same. If it behaves the same you then know that the problem isn't caused by something else in your application.

Have you used the desktop execution trace toolkit to see whats happening?

Just suggestions.. not solutions unfortunately!!

Hope they help,

Steve

Message 9 of 14
(3,267 Views)

I pull out the code and repeated the problem.  See attached for code.  Run the exe and click help and about.  Let me know what you think.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,253 Views)